If you’re a man who goes regularly to the gym, then you know that there are a few unspoken rules that every man follows. These are simple etiquette that makes the gym experience more pleasant for everyone. If you’re new to going to the gym or are still not quite sure what these unsaid rules are, don’t worry, we have you covered. Here we’re going to tell you the five most important gym rules and also give you a little insight into why they should be followed.
Making gym great again
1. Don’t be a know it all: Maybe you’ve been coming to this gym for years; you know the staff, you know all the equipment, and this feels like your second home. That is still not a good reason to offer unsolicited advice to others. Imagine if you were in their place and someone came up to you and implied that you were doing everything wrong. Chances are that you wouldn’t like it. You can ask if someone needs your help or even send a trainer in their direction, but strutting around telling people what to do is a big NO!
2. No staring please: We all know how irritating it can be to have to wait for equipment. But you know what’s even more irritating? Having someone stand close to you and stare at you while you’re using said equipment. So, don’t be that person. Ask the person using it how long they’ll take and maybe even request them to let you use it if possible. And in the meantime find something else to do. Just don’t stalk the equipment you need.
3. Gym hygiene 101: We’ve all been there, where you go to use a machine only to find it covered in the previous user’s sweat. Yuck! We’re sure you’ve reserved a few cuss words just for those guys. Well, if you don’t want to be at the receiving end of those expletives, it would be a good idea to wipe down the equipment when you’re done. Who knows, you might even be setting a good example for those around you and decrease the chances of sweaty machines in the future.
4. Tidy up: Dumbbells and barbells left lying around can and do trip people. This is not only untidy but also potentially dangerous. Tidying up after yourself and putting things back in their place is basic gym etiquette. This is where learning to put your toys away as a kid comes in handy, and you thought your parents were just making your life difficult.
5. Show respect: Men, this is something that you need to take very seriously: a gym is not a bar or a nightclub. This is no place to approach an attractive person to ask them out. Behaviour like this could not only be considered unpleasant but can also be construed as harassment. Most people want to come to the gym to work out in peace, leave them alone. And don’t worry, if the attraction is mutual, the ice will be broken at a more appropriate time and place.
There you have it. Follow these rules and your gym experience will be so much better for you and others.