Studies suggest that about 50% of people get dandruff, which can also be medically called seborrhea. Itchy and flaky scalp are the common symptoms. These tiny flakes can impact your self-confidence in public, may lead to an increase in hair fall and can also become a cause of pimples. So, how do we treat dandruff? While there is a wide assortment at the drug store and high-end products created specifically to address this problem, home remedies for dandruff are just as effective and give them a natural treatment for dandruff you more good than harm.
How to Remove Dandruff at Home?
Dandruff is a problem all of us must occasionally deal with. It can be quite a task to find the right solution for this issue, and going on a search for dandruff-fighting products can be a painful process. "How to fight dandruff?" is a question doing the rounds on the internet. The internet is filled with ads of chemicals and dandruff-fighting solid shampoos to put an end to flaking.
Also Read: 5 Myths about Dandruff
However, we urge you to consider some of the home treatments listed below for a more manageable lifestyle. Home remedies are easier to find and are a healthier and safer method to remove dandruff from hair.
How to Cure Dandruff Permanently and Naturally at Home?
You can get rid of it permanently at home in case of mild dandruff. All you need to do to avoid a flaky and itchy scalp is to shampoo your hair and use preventive measures like Khadirarishta to treat an itchy and dry scalp. Alternatively, you can use these 17 best home remedies for dandruff- olive oil, coconut oil, fenugreek seeds, Aspirin, Multani mitti, among others.
What are the Home Remedies for Dandruff?
If you're wondering how to cure dandruff permanently, all you need to do is take preventive measures to avoid dandruff. We mean simple home remedies to keep an itchy and flaky scalp at bay. Remember, the point is to prevent an oily scalp and keeping the dandruff-causing germs away. Do this by shampooing your hair before it gets too oily and using dandruff home treatments like mentioned below.
"How to fight Dandruff?" Here's a list of all ingredients at home to help you treat dandruff naturally. An important point to keep in mind while choosing dandruff remedies is the scalp skin type- not all home remedies suit all skin types.
Solution to Dandruff
Lemon Juice - A Dandruff Remedy at Home
Lemons are thought to have originated in Assam and other Southeast Asian regions. Lemons are sometimes described as a hybrid between a sour orange and a citron. Citrus fruits like lemons are high in vitamin C, which helps protect cells from damage. Lemon juice has thus been used for its health benefits for hundreds of years.
Lemon juice is a dandruff remedy at home. It contains Vitamin C, citric acid, flavonoid, and iron – vital for healthy and dandruff-free hair. Citric acid balances the scalp's pH level and even strengthens the hair follicles. The Vitamin C present in lemons has antioxidant properties that allow collagen production to help repair damaged skin cells. It is also effortless to make lemon juice, so it is definitely worth giving lemon juice a shot.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Dandruff Home Remedy?
- Take 2-3 tablespoon of fresh lemon just and massage your scalp well for about 2-3 minutes
- Then let it sit for another 1-2 minutes
- Alternatively, you can even mix the lemon juice with coconut oil and then use
- Then after using a mild shampoo (preferably herbal), rinse your hair off with a teaspoon of lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water
- Repeat this twice a week for the next 3-4 weeks. You will see visible results in the first 1-2 weeks
- Alternatively, you can mix lemon juice with Amla powder and coconut or olive oil and use it as a hair pack to treat dandruff at home effectively
Pro tip: Do not expose your hair to harsh sun rays while you have a lemon pack on. It will prevent your hair from changing its original shade.
Curd (Yoghurt) to Remove Dandruff at Home
In ancient Indian records, the combination of curd and honey is called "the food of the gods." Similarly, in Persian tradition, it is stated that "Abraham owed his fecundity and longevity to the regular ingestion of yogurt." Curd has historically been considered to benefit one's health and wellness greatly.
It has anti-inflammatory properties and antibacterial properties that makes curd a natural anti-dandruff product. There are many different methods in which you can apply curd to your hair, including combining it with other substances such as lemon juice or aloe vera. It is also easy to find at a local grocery store, making it an accessible treatment option.
How to Use Curd for Dandruff Home Remedy?
- Take a bowl of curd and apply it to your scalp. Massage your scalp gently
- Let it stay for 30-45 mins and not more
- You can also make a curd hair mask for dandruff using ripe banana, olive oil, and fresh curd. This is a very effective dandruff home remedy and nourishes the hair too
- Make sure to rinse off the curd pack using a mild shampoo (sulfate-free)
- Use this home treatment for dandruff once a week for at least 2-3 weeks to see the best results
Side tip: While applying curd to your hair as a natural remedy for dandruff, ensure that it is at room temperature. Using cold curd on your hair could give you an out.
Aloe Vera - An Indian Remedy for Dandruff
Aloe vera is historically one of the oldest mentioned plants for its medicinal properties and health benefits. The Ancient Chinese and Egyptians used aloe vera to treat burns and reduce fever. Cleopatra allegedly used aloe vera in her daily skin treatments. Aloe vera is medicinally beneficial as it can reduce destructive toxins, increase absorption of nutrients, and even assist antioxidant support. Aloe vera has achieved significant commercial and medicinal success in both the ancient and modern world.
Aloe vera is an effective dandruff home remedy. It has anti-itching properties that relieve scalp irritation, and its antifungal properties can reduce the flakes on your scalp. It also contains enzymes that help reduce burning or inflammation. Aloe vera gel can be applied alone or with combinations of other solutions such as lemon juice or coconut oil to fight dandruff.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Dandruff Home Remedy?
- You can extract fresh Aloe Vera and apply it on your itchy scalp, or use natural aloe vera gels you get in drug stores
- You can also combine the aloe vera gel with olive oil, lemon juice, and egg yolk for more effective dandruff treatment at home
- Keep this for 30-45 minutes, and then rinse it off with a sulfate-free shampoo
- You can also use shampoos that contain Aloe Vera
- Repeat this home remedy for dandruff and itchy scalp for about a month to get rid of dandruff permanently
Pro Tip: The easiest way to use aloe vera for dandruff is to use ketoconazole and aloe vera shampoo. It's convenient and hassle-free.
Also Read: Hair Oils For Dandruff | Dandruff Solutions
Coconut oil - A Dandruff Home Remedy
"Is coconut oil good for dandruff?" Coconuts were first cultivated in India along the Malabar Coast. The history of coconut oil is as old as 4000 years; humans have been using coconut oil for many thousands of years for its health and nutritional value. Indian Ayurvedic medicine dated from 1500BC has documented coconut oil in areas concerning the mind, body, and spirit. The unique combination of fatty acids in coconut oil has benefits such as assisting in the loss of excess fat, maintaining heart health and brain function.
Coconut oil for dandruff is a common home remedy in India. It has both antifungal and antibacterial properties that will moisturize dry hair. We recommend that you use pure oil - known as virgin coconut oil. The better the virgin coconut oil's quality, the more effective the home remedy for dandruff. It can also treat eczema, which is sometimes caused by dandruff. Coconut oil or virgin coconut oil can be bought at your local health store.
How to Use Coconut for Dandruff Home Remedy?
- Massage your itchy scalp with mildly warm coconut oil for 10-15 minutes, and then let it sit for another 20-30 minutes
- Alternatively, boil coconut oil with fenugreek seeds and let it cool down a little. Then add lemon juice and massage the mixture on your scalp and keep it for 30 minutes
- Wash it off with a sulfate-free shampoo
- Repeat it twice every week for a month, and cure dandruff permanently at home naturally
Pro tip: You can also make camphor coconut oil at home for an effective home remedy to get rid of dandruff. This is one of the easiest and cheapest home remedies for dandruff.
Also Read: KayaKalpa Oil | Fight Dandruff
Camphor to get Rid of Dandruff Naturally
Camphor has been used in traditional medicine for centuries, especially in a decongestant form. Camphor helps control dandruff because of its antimicrobial properties. It also prevents microbial growth on the scalp.
Camphor is an itchy scalp and dandruff home remedy. It treats and reduces hair fall. Camphor increases the blood flow and acts as a counterirritant to an irritated and itchy scalp. It also has antibacterial and antifungal properties, making it an effective means of removing dandruff and reducing your hair fall. It will also moisturize a dry scalp. Camphor can be combined with coconut oil or used on its own to treat dandruff.
How to Use Camphor for Dandruff Home Remedy?
- Camphor oil with lemon juice and massage your scalp with it
- Let it sit for 20-30 minutes
- Rinse it off with mild, sulfate-free shampoo
- Use it once a week, for 3-4 weeks to see effect results of this natural treatment for dandruff
Fun Fact: Camphor also helps to cool off your head while also being an effective home remedy for dandruff
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)- At Home Dandruff Treatment
Apple cider vinegar is a vinegar made from fermented apple juice. It has been traditionally used for its health benefits, and it is generally easy to make and consume. It gives your hair extra shine and makes it feel smooth and silky, making it apt against dandruff.
Apple cider vinegar is an effective natural dandruff treatment. It has acetic acid that helps balance the pH level of your scalp. ACV is a home remedy for dandruff and dry scalp as it gets rid of all the product build-ups on your scalp. ACV rinse is easy to inculcate as a part of your hair care regime. Just add a tablespoon of ACV to water, rinse your hair with it after you've shampooed and conditioned your hair, and then observe the results.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff Home Remedy?
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoon of ACV with an equal part of the water in a spray bottle
- Spray it on your hair and massage your itchy scalp for 5-10 minutes
- Rinse it off with cool water after 15-20 minutes
- Repeat this twice a week for a month to see the best result
Pro tip: You can even add 5-6 drops of Apple Cider Vinegar(ACV) to your bathtub and let it reinstate the PH balance of your hair and body
Neem for Dandruff and Itchy Scalp Home Remedy
"The free tree of India" neem has been used throughout history by humankind for its health and medicinal benefits. Neem can be used in the form of an oil, or you could chew the leaves instead. It is available at every local store and can even be grown in your backyard. Neem paste or neem oil helps reduce dandruff making it a perfect home treatment method.
Neem has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that can help fight dandruff. Neem helps with numerous different skin ailments apart from dandruff. A neem paste mixed with some curd can provide your scalp with the much-needed soothing effect and relief from dandruff.
How to Use Neem as Home Remedy for Dandruff and Itchy Scalp?
- Grind neem leaves into a think paste and apply it to your hair
- Alternately you can also you neem oil or dried neem powder
- Keep this for 30-45 minutes and then rinse off using a sulfate-free shampoo
- Repeat this at least once a week for the next 3-4 weeks to cure dandruff permanently at home naturally and effortlessly
Pro Tip: You can also mix the neem paste or oil with other carrier oils such as castor oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil to provide overall nourishment to the irritated scalp.
Ginger Oil for Dandruff - A Natural Dandruff Remedy
The Indians and the Chinese allegedly produced ginger as a tonic root for over 5000 years, using it to treat an assortment of ailments. Ginger has a variety of therapeutic solid and preventive effects and has been used for thousands of years, making it a reliable and safe option for dandruff home treatment.
Ginger is one of the oldest and most tested remedies for dandruff. Ginger oil acts as a natural cleanser and helps curb the scalp's itchiness. As a cleanser, it keeps the fungal bacteria at bay and relieves you of dandruff. It is also an easily retrievable ingredient at any store near you, making it an accessible and convenient option.
How to Use Ginger for Natural Dandruff Treatment?
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of grated ginger juice
- Mix it with olive oil and one teaspoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Massage your itchy scalp for about 5-10 minutes and let it sit for another 10-20 minutes
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo
- Use this freshly grated ginger mixture for the next month to see the best results
Side Note: Ginger has excellent antiseptic properties, making it an ideal home remedy for dandruff and itchy scalp.
Tea Tree Oil as Home Remedy for Dandruff
Tea tree oil was first extracted in Australia. The tea tree oil industry originated in the 1920s when an Australian named Arthur Penfold reported that tea tree oil had promise as a medicinal oil, as it exhibited antiseptic properties.
Tea tree oil (melaleuca oil) has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties that can help dandruff. Its soothing properties provide relief from the constant itching and the white flakes on the scalp.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil as Natural Remedy for Dandruff
- Mix 4-5 drops of tea tree oil with olive oil or argan oil, or coconut oil
- Massage it onto your scalp for 5-10 minutes and let it sit for another 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with a sulfate-free shampoo
- Use it 2-3 times a week for 2-3 weeks to see effective results
Side Tip: You can even use 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with lukewarm water or green tea as a natural treatment for dandruff at home. This will help condition your hair while also naturally treating dandruff.
Also Read: 6 Dietary Culprits That Cause Dandruff
Baking Soda as Natural Remedy for Dandruff
Baking soda is believed to help clean the scalp and eliminate dandruff flakes.
Using baking soda for dandruff and hair has several benefits:
- Baking soda is known to absorb the excess sebum produced by the scalp. It also helps wash off the grease and oil on the scalp that is the main culprit of dandruff.
- Baking soda has antifungal properties. This helps get rid of bacteria that cause dandruff or flaking by chewing on the oil of the scalp.
- Using baking soda may also help calm the scalp, resulting in decreased oil production. This may be because it balances the pH of the scalp.
How to Use Baking Soda as Home Remedy for Dandruff
- Dampen your hair and then apply a mix of 2 tablespoons of baking soda and water on your wet scalp
- Massage it for 1-2 minutes and let it sit for another 2 minutes
- Rinse it off with a mild, sulfate-free shampoo
- Use it twice a week for the next 2-4 weeks to see the desired result.
Multani Mitti as Best Dandruff Treatment
Multani Mitti is a popular household remedy to treat hair loss due to damage and unclean scalp. Multani mitti helps clear your scalp off dirt, grime, and excess oil with its many elements like Alumina, Silica, and Iron. These ingredients make it a suitable remedy for hair and dandruff.
This ingredient's mild scrubbing properties can remove the dead and dry skin to pave the way for new hair growth. It also detoxifies your scalp cells to improve better absorption of nutrients and lower the chances of dandruff, eczema, and other infections.
How to Use Multani Mitti as Natural Dandruff Treatment
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons for Multani mitti with water and apply it on the scalp well
- You can also add 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice and coconut oil to the mixture
- Let it dry for the next 30-40 minutes
- Then rinse it off with a mild, sulfate-free shampoo
- Use this mixture once a week for the next one month to let it cure dandruff naturally at home
Pro tip: If you have dry hair and a dry scalp, mix Multani mitti with olive oil and then apply it to your hair. Since Multani mitti is a natural clarifying agent, it dries your hair while removing the excess flakes.
Aspirin as Home Treatment for Dandruff
Another remedy commonly found at home is Aspirin. Although this isn't a natural remedy in the technical sense, taking into account that it is readily accessible at home, this could well be added to the list. Aspirin is known to have salicylic acid- an ingredient most commonly found in shampoos. The readily available Aspirin can play a significant role in keeping dandruff at bay.
How to Use Aspirin as Dandruff Home Remedy?
- Crush and grind 2 Aspirins into a fine powder
- Add it to your regular shampoo (try using a mild, sulfate-free shampoo)
- Use this twice a week with your shampoo regularly for the next 4-5 weeks to see effective results
Listerine as Home Remedy for Dandruff
Listerine, a mouthwash, has now been popularly used to treat dandruff and itchy scalp. It can help in killing the dandruff-causing fungi and improve scalp health.
It owes its effectiveness to the presence of four main components: menthol, thymol, eucalyptol, and methyl salicylate.
- Thymol is a well-known antiseptic that can help reduce dandruff. Menthol has antimicrobial properties. It prevents flaking and helps in keeping the scalp clean.
- Eucalyptol works well as an anti-dandruff agent.
- Salicylic acid is often used in anti-dandruff shampoos, and it helps remove scalp scales/flakes.
How to Use Listerine as Home Remedy for Dandruff?
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of regular Listerine mouthwash and mix it with 5-8 tablespoons of water.
- Keep it for about 5 minutes.
- Then wash it off with sulfate-free shampoo.
- You can use it after your regular shampoo and conditioner or before
- Use it 2-3 times a week to treat the flaky and itchy scalp.
Olive Oil for Natural Dandruff Treatment
Olive oil is extremely effective in getting rid of dandruff, especially in the dry scalp. Olive oil is one of the best natural conditioners for hair, unlike store-bought conditioners, which can clog and irritate your scalp. Olive oil will help moisturize a dry scalp and will soothe flaking. You can use a hair mask of Olive Oil alone or olive oil and almond oil combined.
How to Use Olive Oil for Dandruff Treatment at Home?
- Massage olive oil on your scalp for 10-15 minutes and let it sit for another 20-30 minutes
- Alternately, you can also combine olive oil with coconut oil, almond oil, and a few drops of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Wash it off using a mild, sulfate-free shampoo followed by a good conditioner
- You can use this treatment every alternate day or at least twice a week for the next 3-4 weeks to see the best results
Side Tip: You can even apply olive oil and wrap your head using a steamed towel for hair spa at home, along with treating your dandruff
Garlic - Home Remedy for Dandruff and Itchy Scalp
Is Garlic Good for hair?
Yes, it is. Garlic benefits for hair are famous. Garlic can activate hair follicles, aid hair growth, and help treat dandruff. Garlic helps with dandruff due to its antifungal properties.
How to use Garlic for dandruff treatment at home?
- You can use garlic juice on your scalp and keep it for 30 mins
- Then wash it off using a sulfate-free shampoo
- Alternately, use garlic powder with curd and wash it off after an hour
- Repeat either of these or both alternately twice a week for one month
Pro Tip: You can apply baking soda with water to your hair after rinsing off the garlic juice as it has a powerful odor. Baking soda helps remove this stench, and also, you can mix three drops of lavender oil with 50 ml of water and spray it on your damp hair. This additional step will remove the smell entirely, and moreover, lavender has calming properties and a very soothing smell.
Are Eggs Good for Hair?
Yes, they are. They help nourish the hair, making it smooth and frizz-free while also naturally treating dandruff and itchy scalp effortlessly at home. Egg yolk has biotin, a major antidotal vitamin for curing dandruff at home effectively. It has all the nutrients, proteins, fats that can help rejuvenate the scalp's health, helping you cure dandruff completely.
How to Use Egg Yolk as Home Remedy for Dandruff?
- Whisk egg yolk with three tablespoons of curd and four teaspoons of olive oil.
- Apply it on your scalp and hair and let it sit for the next 30 minutes
- Wash it off with sulfate-free shampoo
- Repeat this mask at least 1-2 times a week for the next 4-5 weeks to see visible results
Side Tip: This Dandruff home remedy can leave a bad stench of egg even after shampooing. So, in that case, you can rinse off your hair using apple cider vinegar diluted with water after shampooing as an additional step.
Fenugreek Seeds - Home Remedy for Flaky Scalp
The antibacterial properties of fenugreek seeds and their antifungal properties can help eliminate the fungi that cause dandruff.
Fenugreek or methi seeds are a rich source of protein, vitamin C, iron, potassium, nicotinic acid, and lecithin. The benefits that these nutrients and properties offer for hair are innumerable. For dandruff alone- you can use these seeds in hair masks. Some common mask combinations are-
- Fenugreek with lemon
- Fenugreek with curd.
- Fenugreek in water
How to Use Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds as Dandruff Home Remedy?
- You can heat fenugreek seeds with coconut oil and let them cool down a little
- Then add 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice to this mixture and massage it on your flaky scalp and hair for 5-10 minutes. Let it sit for the next 30 minutes
- Alternatively, you can soak methi seeds in water overnight and grind them into a thick paste and apply it on the scalp and hair. Let this sit for the next 30-45 minutes
- Alternatively, you can also add 3-4 tablespoons of curd to this paste and apply it to your scalp and hair. Let it sit for the next 20-30 minutes
Pro tip: While applying a methi and curd hair mask, you can consider covering your head with a shower cap to prevent the hair pack from flaking and causing a mess.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff Permanently?
Dandruff can be embarrassing as it causes itchy, white skin flakes on your scalp. Additionally, it could result in a greasy scalp. Although several over-the-counter (OTC) dandruff treatment options are available, natural solutions frequently work just as well.
Here are 17 easy home remedies for dandruff you can try.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil, known for its many health advantages, is also employed for dandruff treatment at home. It hydrates the skin more effectively and prevents dryness, which can exacerbate dandruff. In addition, an 8-week trial discovered that putting coconut oil on the skin significantly reduced the itching and inflammation associated with atopic dermatitis.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is frequently used in cosmetics. As per a study, aloe vera's antibacterial and antifungal characteristics may act as a solution to dandruff. In addition, studies suggest that aloe vera may be beneficial against various fungi species. Use aloe vera gel directly or mix it with hair oil to get a healthy scalp.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil (Terpinene-4-ol, a substance found in tea tree oil) helps eliminate dandruff by inhibiting the development of fungus and bacteria on the scalp. A study (2017) on essential oils showed ingredients in tea tree oil can successfully inhibit Staphylococcus epidermidis bacteria, which makes your scalp prone to dandruff.
So if you want to try a dandruff solution at home, start by incorporating a few drops of tea tree oil with your oil or shampoo.
4. Lemongrass Oil
In addition to digestive problems and blood pressure, you can use lemongrass oil among the best dandruff removal home remedies due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities.
A 2015 study found that hair tonics containing 10 percent lemongrass oil decreased dandruff by 81 percent after two weeks. Lemongrass oil can be diluted with water or used in small amounts with shampoo and conditioner to avoid irritation.
5. Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplement
Dry skin, brittle nails, and dandruff are fatty acid deficiency symptoms. Omega-3s have various advantages for the scalp, including reducing oil production, lowering inflammation, and increasing hydration. Therefore, incorporating food rich in omega-3s, such as salmon, mackerel, and walnuts, is the best remedy for dandruff.
An over-the-counter painkiller, aspirin can be the best solution for dandruff. This is due to its salicylic acid content, a component frequently found in anti-dandruff shampoos.
In addition, it may reduce irritation on the scalp, preventing oil build-up and exfoliating dandruff flakes. Crush 1-2 aspirin pills into a fine powder and combine it with a shampoo to get a dandruff-free scalp.
With probiotic bacteria, your body can fight off the fungi that cause dandruff by strengthening your immune system. One study found that administering probiotics for 56 days lessened the severity of dandruff dramatically in 60 individuals.
Incorporate foods like kombucha, kimchi, tempeh, sauerkraut, and natto, and probiotics supplements as a treatment for dry scalp.
8. Baking Soda
Applying baking soda paste on the scalp exfoliates dead skin cells and minimises scaling. In addition, due to its antifungal qualities, it helps you remove dandruff at home. A study found that baking soda prevented fungal growth in 79% of specimens.
Garlic is known for its antifungal properties that remove dandruff-causing microbes. Add one tablespoon of honey and a few garlic cloves to prepare a hair pack. Apply the paste, and rinse the shampoo after 15 minutes to remove dandruff at home.
10. Listerine Mouthwash
Listerine mouthwash can combat yeast from growing. Take a bowl of nine tablespoons of water and one tablespoon of Listerine mouthwash. Apply the paste on your scalp and wash thoroughly after a few minutes.
11. Olive Oil
Olive oil can be the best way to remove dandruff due to its positive effects. All you have to do is apply some olive oil to your hair and rinse it with a gentle shampoo.
12. Basil Leaves
One of the natural remedies for dandruff is basil leaves. Mix a few basil leaves, two teaspoons of amla powder, and some water. When the paste is ready, apply it over your scalp, and rinse it after 30 minutes.
13. Green Tea
Green tea is a potent antifungal and antioxidant that can improve your scalp naturally at home. Apply some cold green tea extract to your scalp to treat dandruff, and you'll notice a difference.
14. Orange Peel
A highly effective hair dandruff solution at home is an orange peel mask. First, squeeze some lemon juice onto the orange peel and make a paste in a grinder. Next, apply this mask to your scalp, and wait 30 minutes for it to dry. Later rinse it with anti-dandruff shampoo.
15. Neem Juice
Neem, a common constituent in shampoos, is one of the best dandruff treatments at home due to its antifungal properties. Begin with crushing neem leaves until a thick paste is formed. Then, apply this paste to your scalp and hair, and rinse with shampoo after 10 minutes.
You can use amla juice or dried amla as a hair mask for hair fall and dandruff treatment at home. This treatment can bolster hair follicles and combat a dry scalp.
17. Avoid Certain Foods
Research indicates that dietary changes can help treat dandruff by reducing yeast growth and enhancing the gut microbiomes, which prevent fungal infections. For example, avoiding foods like white bread, white pasta, tortillas, red meat, processed foods, fried foods, and sugary foods can help treat dandruff naturally.
Ketoconazole Shampoo Dandruff Treatment at Home
A permanent solution for dandruff at home is using Ketoconazole shampoo. This medicated antifungal shampoo is co-curated by doctors to contain ketoconazole, aloe vera, and vitamin B5 that nourish your scalp.
Ketoconazole, the primary ingredient, is the most effective antifungal agent known as a permanent cure for dandruff and reduces inflammation. In addition, Piroctone Olamine Pro controls Malassezia globosa, a fungus that causes dandruff.
The aloe vera extract in this shampoo calms an itchy scalp and prevents hair from drying. In addition, pro-vitamin B5 penetrates deep into scalp hair and moisturises them. Thus, this shampoo is the best way to get rid of dandruff.
Even though dandruff can be a challenging issue to manage, natural remedies for dandruff can offer some relief.
Try the homemade remedies for dandruff listed above the next time you notice flakes. If these dandruff treatment home remedies fail to give relief, try an anti-dandruff shampoo for long-lasting relief.
What Removes Dandruff Fast?
Anti-dandruff shampoo and brushing your hair are the first two things to try as a solution for dandruff and hair fall. Brushing your hair gently removes the oil from your scalp and prevents skin cell build-up.
Similarly, anti-dandruff shampoos can help you get rid of dandruff fast. Try shampoos with coal tar preparations, pyrithione zinc, salicylic acid and sulphur, selenium sulphide, and ketoconazole.
What Naturally Kills Dandruff?
Tea tree oil, lemon juice, baking soda, Listerine mouthwash, neem, and garlic naturally inhibits dandruff. However, you should use anti-dandruff shampoo and home remedies for dry scalp for a permanent solution.
How Can I Get Rid of Dandruff in 2 Days?
Most people who have dandruff look for an instant and permanent solution. So here are some tips on how to get rid of dandruff permanently and quickly:
- Use anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Wash your hair thoroughly.
- Add essential oils like rosemary, lavender, green tea, and mangosteen to your regular hair care routine.
What is the Best Solution for Dandruff?
The Ketoconazole shampoo for dandruff and itchy scalp by Man Matters is the best choice if you are looking for quick, long-lasting, and permanent solutions for dandruff. This is an antifungal shampoo, co-curated by top doctors and enriched with aloe vera extract, Piroctone Olamine Pro, and vitamin B5 that nourish your hair.
What is the Best Best Remedy for Dandruff?
You can get relief from flaky dandruff, itching, and irritation with some of the natural remedies for dandruff. You only need to select the right ingredients and mix them in the proper proportions. Here are two suggested best home remedies for dandruff:
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
According to a study, one of the best home remedies for dandruff and hair fall is ACV. Take equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water and keep the mixture aside for a while. Apply it, gently massage your scalp, and rinse it off after 15 minutes.
- Egg Yolk
Biotin in egg yolk acts as a conditioner and also removes dandruff flakes.
Remove the white layer surrounding the yolk. Apply it on a dry scalp and cover your head with a cap for an hour. Then, rinse your hair using a gentle shampoo.
Is Oiling Good for Dandruff?
Coconut oil has hydrating properties and has a long history of use as a natural antibacterial agent due to its lauric acid content.
The exact effectiveness of coconut oil for treating dandruff is still under research. However, it might work best if you have a dry scalp or eczema with dandruff.
Can Lemon Remove Dandruff?
Why is My Dandruff Not Stopping?
Check for the following causes if your dandruff is not stopping:
- Dry skin.
- You are not shampooing regularly.
- Oil build-up.
- Seborrheic dermatitis.
What is the Best Dandruff Treatment at Home?
The best treatment for dandruff at home is any method that lowers oil build-up on the scalp and has antifungal properties. Try the anti-dandruff home remedies listed above and ketoconazole shampoo for the best results.
Is There Any Permanent Solution for Dandruff at Home?
Here are some tips on how to cure dandruff permanently:
- Use a shampoo that has the right ingredients.
- Shampoo your hair once every three days.
- Use an anti-dandruff shampoo like Ketoconazole shampoo for dandruff and itchy scalp for promising results.
Is There Any Home Dry Scalp Treatment?
Essential hair oils and home-dry scalp treatment can help achieve a permanent solution for dandruff at home. These include the following:
- Hibiscus flower masks may help with dry scalp.
- Fenugreek can be used to relieve an itchy, dry scalp.
- Flaxseed aids in the removal of toxins and moisturises your scalp.
How to Remove Dandruff?
To remove dandruff, you can use Ketoconazole shampoos or oils for dandruff. You can also use natural home remedies for dandruff, including curd, coconut oil, fenugreek seeds, olive oil, Aspirin, apple cider vinegar, and others. The recipes for these hair masks have been added on top. You can check those out.
How to Reduce Dandruff?
If you have mild dandruff, i.e., a mildly itchy and inflamed scalp, you can use home remedies such as camphor coconut oil and curd to fight dandruff.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff and Hair Fall?
The itching caused by dandruff often causes hair fall. To get rid of dandruff and hair fall, use a ketoconazole shampoo to control your dandruff. Additionally, you can use aloe vera to soothe your scalp and hair follicles.
How Do You Get Rid of Dandruff Quickly?
To get rid of dandruff quickly, use a 2% ketoconazole shampoo that controls dandruff flakes. After only three washes, you will see reduced flakes and a soothed scalp. Mixing tea tree oil with coconut oil and fenugreek paste and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar is an excellent dandruff home remedy that can remove dandruff quickly if used twice a week daily for two weeks. In case you have mild dandruff, this natural dandruff treatment can cure dandruff overnight in one wash.
How to Cure Dandruff Permanently Naturally at Home?
You can permanently cure dandruff at home by using either one of these top dandruff home remedies that can permanently cure dandruff and naturally at home- 1. Lemon juice, 2. Olive Oil, 3. Egg Yolk, 4. Apple Cider Vinegar, 5. Garlic Juice, 7. Aspirin, 8. Neem Oil, 9. Coconut Oil, 10. Aloe Vera Gel. Scroll up to find out how to use these excellent dandruff remedies at home.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff in Men?
You can use Ketoconazole shampoos or oils to get rid of dandruff in men. You can also use natural home remedies for dandruff that are easy, effective and have no side effects. These include- curd, coconut oil, fenugreek seeds, olive oil, Aspirin, apple cider vinegar, among others. The recipes for these hair masks have been added on top. You can check out how to apply them there.
- Andrew C Satchell, Anne Saurajen, Craig Bell, and Ross StC Barnetson, December 2002; Treatment of dandruff with 5% tea tree oil shampoo- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12451368/
- Saneesh Kumar, January 2013; Analysis on the Natural Remedies to Cure Dandruff/Skin Disease-causing Fungus - Malassezia furfur- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261071142_Analysis_on_the_Natural_Remedies_to_Cure_DandruffSkin_Disease-causing_Fungus_-_Malassezia_furfur
- K. P. Sampath Kumar, Debjit Bhowmik, and Chiranjib Biswajit, 2010; Analysis on the Natural Remedies to Cure Dandruff/Skin Disease-causing Fungus - Malassezia furfur- https://www.jocpr.com/articles/aloe-vera--a-potential-herb-and-its-medicinal-importance.pdf
- S. Mohanapriya, R. Caroline Jeba, and C. Mercy Bastine, June 2013; COMPARATIVE STUDY OF ANTI DANDRUFF ACTIVITY OF SYZYGIUM AROMATICUM AND ZINGIBER OFFICINALE- (PDF) COMPARATIVE STUDY OF ANTI DANDRUFF ACTIVITY OF SYZYGIUM AROMATICUM AND ZINGIBER OFFICINALE (researchgate.net)