Stubborn dandruff can give you nightmares! Apple Cider Vinegar is an effective remedy for dandruff. Read this article to know how ACV can treat dandruff.
For years apple cider vinegar or the apple sirka or just sirka has been used as a miracle ingredient .
One teaspoon of ACV (apple cider vinegar) is enough to flavour your salad and make it taste wonderful. But who would have thought that something as basic as apple cider vinegar could have so many uses?
In fact, ACV is one of the many home remedies that can treat dandruff effectively.
From a weight loss remedy to an excellent remedy for treating skin conditions, ACV is no less than a wonder in a bottle. However, most are not aware that ACV is great for hair and extremely effective in treating dandruff.
Most of us have at some point dealt with an itchy scalp because of dandruff. Dandruff can be aggravated due to the change in season or by using a wrong hair product.
Apple cider vinegar comes handy when fighting against dandruff.
You will find a lot of content on the internet verifying that apple cider vinegar contains properties that treat dandruff and has been in use as a way to treat dandruff for a long time.
What is the difference between Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar?
The 2 types of vinegar, differ from each other on grounds of the method of extraction, color, and acetic acid content in each of them respectively.
White vinegar, also sometimes called distilled or spirit vinegar, is clear and apple cider vinegar is brown. Regular Vinegar contains 4 %to 7 % acetic acid and 93 percent to 96 percent water. It is made from the fermentation of grain alcohol.
On the other hand, ACV is made by crushing apples, extracting the liquid, and then going through a two-step fermentation process. It contains 5% to 6% acetic acid and 95% to 94% water.
ACV is slightly higher in vitamins and minerals and is therefore more often used in hair recipes.
Treating Dandruff with Home Remedies
Dandruff is a problem that has become a part of life for a lot of people.
Finding a fix to the white flakes task can often be extremely tiresome.In order to find what works on your dandruff problem it is important to understand how and why dandruff actually occurs.
What exactly is Dandruff?
Two crucial steps in treating Dandruff are-
1. Balancing PH of scalp as an imbalance in PH can result in excess oil secretion that leads to the manifestation of fungus that feed on the oily substance or sebum.
2. Killing the microbe or the fungus that causes the flaking in the first place.
As ACV checks both the boxes it is extremely beneficial in curing dandruff. ACV’s properties are proof enough that it can help you get rid off dandruff. Let’s take a glance at some of these properties:
Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff-
- Acidic Nature of Apple cider vinegar – ACV contains low PH level between 2-3 which could be potentially used to restore the acidic and pH balance of skin and hair
- Apple cider Vinegar as a disinfectant- Apple cider vinegar is a common disinfectant used in homes with the belief that it has the potential to kill fungi and bacteria which cause dandruff and other scalp related issues
- Antifungal property of Apple Cider Vinegar- According to a study in 2009, apple cider vinegar contains compounds which were useful in preventing certain types of fungus grown in a test tube
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff?
Apple cider vinegar can be used in the form of a hair mask in combination with other ingredients such as honey and gram flour for those with sensitive scalp.
Alternately, you could even apply some vinegar on your hair and leave it on overnight.
Apple Cider Vinegar can also be used as a hair rinse.
Here is a Do it yourself Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse that will help you get rid of your dandruff woes-
- Mix half (1/2) a cup of apple cider vinegar with one and a half (1 and 1/2) cup of water
- Shampoo and rinse your hair
- Pour the mixture of apple cider vinegar on your hair
- If you need to use conditioner, only then use water
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for Hair?
The answer to the frequently posed question of : Is Apple Cider Vinegar ( Apple Sirka) good for hair- Is a resounding YES. Along with fighting dandruff apple cider vinegar is good for you hair and can benefit your hair in the following ways.
- Apple Cider Vinegar for PH of hair– It will balance your scalps Ph level
- Apple Cider Vinegar as a cleansing agent-Will remove dirt and oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar for anti inflammation– Soothes itchy scalp
- Apple Cider Vinegar for hair shine and lustre– Gives a shiny and smooth look to your hair
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair growth– ACV gently exfoliates the scalp which in turn will promote hair growth and healthier hair. It also acts as a stimulating agent and helps stimulate the hair follicles.
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair thinning-ACV helps with hair strengthening and helps fight hair thinning due to its ability to remove all traces of product build-up of hair styling gel or even dirt and pollution for that. This helps prevent clogging of pores enabling growth of thick strands of hair.
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Loss- Apple Cider Vinegar plays an extremely crucial role in preventing hair loss as it is capable of preventing DHT build up. DHT or dihydrotestosterone build up in the scalp decreases the size of hair follicles which eventually leads to Pattern Baldness in Men.
There is no denying to the fact that apple cider vinegar has multiple health benefits. While you will find various kinds of home remedies to treat dandruff, using ACV is one of the most effective treatments available and supported by abundant anecdotal evidence.
Adding Apple Cider Vinegar to your weekly haircare routine is sure to help you reap benefits in the months and days to come.
However, if you are someone who has been dealing with stubborn dandruff for a long time, invest in a good anti-dandruff shampoo with ketoconazole or salicylic acid along with using the apple cider vinegar treatment at home to get the best results.