The seemingly basic staple pantry product in the refrigeration section of the supermarkets is suddenly gaining popularity, and you may be wondering, why? You might have a friend suggesting you having apple cider vinegar (ACV) shots for the fat burning. Again, you think about how it even helps to burn the fat. The gummies form of ACV is easy to consume, easy to carry and store and can become a part of your busy life in no time. This article answers all the questions for you! First, let us know what exactly this particular type of vinegar is.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Vinegar, from the French vin aigre, meaning “sour wine,” can be made from any fermentable carbohydrate source. Apple Cider Vinegar or ACV are made up of fermented apples and water having a pale medium colour. Like other kinds of vinegar, ACV has 5% acidity. The fermented juice from crushed apples makes an apple cider vinegar. You may notice there are different types of ACV available in the market. For instance, if you see an ACV filled bottle which is clear and distilled is usually the one you are most familiar. Some ACV bottles contain a cloudy substance that floats around in the mix, is because the ACV has been unpasteurised, unfiltered or raw. This is called the “mother” and is formed by natural enzymes during fermentation. No need to be wary of it: This stringy substance usually settles to the bottom of the bottle, and is completely safe to consume.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Good for Weight Loss? Does it Really Work?
Yes, Apple Cider Vinegar is good for weight loss because it really works! Why?
A scientific study shows that obese people who took 15 to 30 ml (1-2 tablespoons) of Apple Cider Vinegar every day for 12 weeks saw weight loss and fat loss . Another Another 6 week study showed that the group with high dose of ACV lost 10% more fat the other group. In a nutshell, it's a low calorie drink that helps with weigh loss when taken correctly.
Moreover, studies also suggest that Apple Cider Vinegar is good for weight loss and more effective when people combine it with low calorie diet and regular workout or exercise. Also see how does Ashwagandha help in weight loss?
A study conducted in 2018 on a group of people studied the impact of low calorie diet and ACV intake versus that with low calorie diet alone for 12 weeks. Researchers observed people who took Apple Cider Vinegar lost more weight, had lower BMI (Body Mass Index) and improvement in cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Do these exercises for weight loss.
Another study observed the impact of taking 20 ml of ACV with water every day. It was observed that the group with type 2 diabetes had lower fasting glucose, and the group who were obese had lower BMI. Also read Yoga asanas for diabetes
Moreover the main compound in ACV- Acetic Acid helps to slow down the speed at which foods leave the stomach of healthy people and patients with Type 1 diabetes. Thus aiding in weight loss (backed by scientific study).
These extensive studies show why Apple Cider Vinegar is good for weight loss and has become so popular over the years. Read on to find out the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for Fat Loss: Acetic Acid in ACV Helps With Fat Loss
Acetic acid is the main compound in Apple Cider Vinegar, which in layman's terms is a short-chain fatty acid that helps dissolve acetate and hydrogen in our body. Some scientific studies on animals show that acetic acid present in ACV can help promote weight loss. How?
Apple Cider helps to decrease insulin levels:
A study showed that acetic acid helped lower the insulin to glucagon ration, which helps with fat loss and hence weight loss
Apple Cider helps to boost metabolism rate:
Apple Cider helps to lower fat storage:
Apple Cider helps to aid fat loss by fat burning:
A study on mice showed increase in the genes that are responsible for fat burning, causing fat loss
Apple Cider helps to lower blood sugar levels:
Studies show that acetic acid in ACV helped to improve the ability of muscles and the liver to take up more sugar from the blood
Apple Cider helps to reduce food cravings and increased appetite:
This study shows how acetic acid in diet helps suppress the areas of brain responsible for controlling appetite, thus resulting in low intake of food
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Fat Loss: ACV Helps with Fat Burning and Weight Loss
A Japanese study was conducted for 12 weeks on a group of 144 obese adults. The results of this study showed effective results on weight loss.
- 144 overweight Japanese adults ate eight 15 ml of vinegar (1 tablespoon), 30 ml of vinegar (2 tablespoon) or a placebo drink
- Alcohol was restricted from their diet throughout the study
Observations on the group of people who took 15 ml of vinegar every day-
Drop in Body Fat % :
Decrease in waist circumference:
0.5 inches or 1.4 cm
Reduction in triglycerides:
Observations on the group of people who took 20 ml of vinegar every day-
Drop in Body Fat %:
Decrease in waist circumference:
0.75 inches or 1.9 cm
Reduction in triglycerides:
Observations on the group of people who took placebo every day-
Slight Increase in Waist Circumference
3. ACV Helps Less Calorie Intake and Increases Fullness
Apple Cider Vinegar benefits weight loss by ensuring your stomach feels full, thus lowering the calorie intake. Here's how (proven).
Proven Fact: A study on 11 people who had vinegar with high calorie meal had 55% less blood sugar response an hour after eating. Moreover, they consumed 200-275 less calories for rest of the day.
Word of caution: People having type 1 diabetes should consult with a dietician before following this because taking ACV with meals can worsen gastroparesis- a common complication in Type 1 diabetes patients caused due to delayed stomach emptying.
Other Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
1. ACV increases metabolism
Apple cider vinegar helps you to suppress the hunger and provides you with the satiety level preventing you from overeating. It increases the metabolic rate resulting in the burning of the calories more efficiently. Try these teas for improving the metabolic rate.
2. ACV is gut-friendly
The fermentation process that yields apple cider vinegar encourages the growth and proliferation of good-for-your-gut microbes. Apple cider vinegar benefits the digestion process by consumption of small amount of apple cider vinegar, taken just prior to a meal, will stimulate the production of digestive juices. Consumption of probiotic-rich foods leads to boost the immune system, improve digestion and even maintain good mental health. The apple cider vinegar increases the acidity of your stomach, which helps your body create more pepsin, the enzyme that breaks down protein results in improved digestion.
3. ACV improves blood sugar levels
Apple cider vinegar plays an important role in controlling the sugar levels in the blood. It also controls the blood levels, which rises noticeably right after finish meal. A study in the Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism found that taking 2 teaspoons (tsp) of vinegar with a meal containing complex carbohydrates reduced postprandial glycaemia (a spike in blood sugar after a meal) by 20 percent compared with a placebo. When it comes to managing the disease, measurement place an important role.
There are several reasons ACV promotes fat loss but one of those reasons include that ACV reduces sugar cravings and improves detoxification. The potential health benefits surprisingly include reduction of yeast infections, acid reflux in the body, ulcerative colitis, reduced inflammation, stress relief and skin conditions like Psoriasis, eczema and psoriatic arthritis.
ACV is considered safe when it is consumed in moderate amounts. As ACV is not only available in the liquid form there are tablets available for the same which are considered to be the powerful source of vitamins and minerals for weight loss and cleansing support. Drinking excessive amounts of ACV could decrease potassium to hazardous levels, something that can be dangerous if you have a condition such as high blood pressure according to the University of Washington. Excessive consumption can also lead to Tooth erosion, according to a 2014 study in Clinical Laboratory. Apple cider vinegar are made up of fermented apples and water. You can use ACV in salad dressings, preserving foods and cleaning agent. The ingredient may help you control your blood sugar and can be part of a healthy diet.
How to consume Apple Cider Vinegar
While you can opt to have Apple Cider Vinegar with hot water in the morning, keep in mind that having it daily can ruin your enamel and your teeth. The best form of Apple Cider Vinegar to have is Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies. These have all of ACV’s benefits minus the sour taste. The best part? These ACV gummies have no added sugar.
When to Drink Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss
- Drink Apple Cider Vinegar 2-3 times a day.
- Take 1-2 tsp of ACV with warm water
- For best results, take it empty stomach in the morning, and half an hour before your meals- lunch and dinner
- Drink it daily for at least a month to see best results
- You can combine it with 5-10 mins workout and low calorie diet to see quicker results
- You can also add organic honey to this, to refine the taste of ACV drink
- Also, consult with a nutritionist on the dosage, based on your health, to avoid side effects
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Lose Belly Fat
- Combine 1-2 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar with warm water
- Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and 1 tablespoon of flax seeds powder
- Add organic honey to this mixture and stir it well
- Drink 1 cup of this mixture thrice every day- empty stomach in the morning, 30 minutes before lunch and dinner
- Ensure to warm the ACV drink before intake
- Repeat this regularly for a month to see effective results of Apple Cider Vinegar to lose belly fat
- Combine this with 5-10 minutes easy workout for belly fat, to see faster results (in 2 weeks)
Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss in 1 Week: Does it Work?
Yes, you can you can see results of Apple Cider Vinegar for weight loss in 1 week. But here's what you need to do.
- Drink Apple Cider Vinegar shot (4 tsp of ACV with 50 ml of water) empty stomach (at least an hour before breakfast)
- Do a 5 minute easy workout after this- bicycle crunches, abdominal crunches, planks, heel touch
- Take a low calorie diet (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Mix 4 tsp of ACV with warm water and have it 30 minutes before lunch and dinner
- Do another 2-5 minutes workout in the evening
- See visible results in weight loss in one week of this regular regime
Read More: Chia Seeds for Weight Loss
- Robert H. Shmerling, MD, April 25, 2018; Apple cider vinegar diet: Does it really work?- https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/apple-cider-vinegar-diet-does-it-really-work-2018042513703
- Danielle Dresden, June 11, 2020; Does apple cider vinegar help with weight loss?- https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/apple-cider-vinegar-weight-loss
- Solaleh Sadat Khezri, Atoosa Saidpour, Nima Hosseinzadeh & Zohreh Amiri, April 2018; Beneficial effects of Apple Cider Vinegar on weight management, Visceral Adiposity Index and lipid profile in overweight or obese subjects receiving restricted calorie diet- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324141912_Beneficial_effects_of_Apple_Cider_Vinegar_on_weight_management_Visceral_Adiposity_Index_and_lipid_profile_in_overweight_or_obese_subjects_receiving_restricted_calorie_diet_A_randomized_clinical_trial