A study published in the Urology Care Foundation of America in 2018 stated that erectile dysfunction (ED) impacts as many as 30 million men throughout the nation. The number has now grown to 50 million. In India as well, many studies show that men below the age of 40 are also experiencing ED. One of the studies conducted last year by Dr Sudhakar Krishnamurti, the founder of India’s first andrology centre, states that ED is affecting over 50 per cent of Indian men over the age of 40 and 10 per cent aged below 40. Such statistics are disturbing and call for immediate action and remedy of the situation.
Here is how you can identify what ED is and what are its causes and symptoms.
What is Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
In simple terms, ED is the inability to maintain and keep an erection firm enough during sexual activity. Now, it should not be a surprise to you that a person experiencing ED could not have sex with their partner due to their lack of ability to keep their sex drive prominent during the act. However, having erection trouble a couple of times is not an issue. Only when it occurs on a regular basis, is it termed as ED.
There are several reasons as to why ED happens to a person. Hypertension, stress, low self-esteem, high blood pressure, and diabetes are just a few of the common issues. Other causes of ED are alcoholism, heart problems, relationship issues, depression, sleep disorder, and obesity. From a broader perspective, ED is directly dependent on the mental and physical state of the person.
You must know that male sexual arousal is a sophisticated process that requires the brain, body hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles, and blood vessels to work together. If due to any reason, one or more than one of these organs fail to cooperate during the sexual act, ED comes calling.
Symptoms of ED
There are quite a few symptoms of ED besides not wanting to indulge in sexual activity with your partners. A few of them are:
- Inability to rise to the occasion during the act or soft erection
- Not able to maintain the erection long enough for sex
- Reduced sex drive
- Reduced sensitivity around the penile area
- An angle change of the erection
Often, these symptoms, occurring regularly, show that a person is suffering from ED. If you have any one or more of these symptoms, then it is advised to consult the doctor or talk about it with someone you trust.
Besides, there are various natural and ayurvedic remedies to tackle ED that works wonder for your lifestyle and sex life.
Natural and ayurvedic remedies for ED
Natural and ayurvedic treatment for ED is extracted from known herbs and plants that have proved themselves beneficial in the past. Even the side effects of these natural remedies are next to nil. Both Ashwagandha (Indian Ginseng) and Safed Musli (C borivilianum) are considered to be highly effective and responsive to fighting erectile dysfunction.
Ashwagandha for ED
Stress is one of the leading causes of erectile dysfunction among Indian men, and ashwagandha is one of the natural herbs that produce gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-like activity, which accounts for its anti-anxiety effects. One of the studies published in 2011 also states the same and mentions that the proven efficacy of ashwagandha as an anxiolytic, antidepressant and anti-stress adaptogen results in increased energy, reduced fatigue, better sleep and an enhanced sense of well-being, along with reduced cortisol levels.
In its powdered form, this herb also keeps the male hormones like testosterone in balance, thereby optimizing the hormones to maintain the erection.
Safed Musli for sexual dysfunction
Even Safed Musli has been regarded as an effective natural herb to treat erectile dysfunction. In a paper published in 2013, the researchers confirmed that safed musli resulted in a statistical increase in semen volume, sperm count, sperm motility, and percent normal sperm morphology. The water extract of the plant proved to be highly safe for intake and helps in improving the count of sperms along with testosterone level in men. The study even showed that along with positive effects, Safed Musli does not produce any adverse effect, and the trial run is healthy for the people.
So fret not, we’re right here for you in case you need some advice on what to do about almost any problem at all. Just like ED can be cured by the consumption of these natural elements, there are barely any of your problems that don’t have solutions! So, cheer up, bud.
- Sudipta Kumar Rath and Asit Kumar Panja, September 2013; Clinical evaluation of root tubers of Shweta Musali (Chlorophytum borivilianum L.) and its effect on semen and testosterone- Clinical evaluation of root tubers of Shweta Musali (Chlorophytum borivilianum L.) and its effect on semen and testosterone (nih.gov)
- Prasad Mamidi and A B Thakar, September 2011; Efficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal. Linn.) in the management of psychogenic erectile dysfunction- Efficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal. Linn.) in the management of psychogenic erectile dysfunction (nih.gov)
- Urology Care Foundation, June 2018; What is Erectile Dysfunction?- Erectile Dysfunction (ED): Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment - Urology Care Foundation (urologyhealth.org)
- Jessica Caporuscio, February 10, 2020; 5 ways to treat ED with Ayurvedic medicine- 5 Ayurvedic treatments for erectile dysfunction (medicalnewstoday.com)