The answer is YES and NO. Confused? Read on to understand and hack the two!
YES, when you have an oily scalp
Dandruff appears particularly sooner in men because of hormones like androgens which cause oily and greasy skin. The myth around dandruff is that it is caused by a dry scalp. In reality, it is caused by excess oil production – an oily scalp
Imagine this, your scalp gets oily and greasy but you push the hair wash by a day or two. This is when dandruff kicks in. Oils produced by your scalp and skin cells cause dandruff. Sometimes, this becomes a breeding ground for Malassezia – a yeast like fungus. Malassezia causes skin cells to shed faster which results in a flakier and dandruff filled scalp.
When the skin’s top most layer sheds, the scalp gets dry, itchy and flaky. We mindlessly begin to scratch our scalp for quick relief. This affects our delicate hair follicles and this is why our hair falls.
In a study published by the Indian Journal of Dermatology, people suffering from dandruff experience a significantly higher rate of hair fall (around 100-300 strands) as compared to the normal 50-100 strands of hair loss that is usually observed.
Though hair loss and dandruff are two issues that are entirely different, the itching sensation that dandruff causes does become a source of hair fall.
NO, dandruff isn’t the only reason for hair loss
Apart from dandruff, men face hair loss due to a variety of factors ranging from hereditary, aging, lack of proper nutrition, stress and tightly tied hair in case of longer hair. It’s usually when signs like receding hairline, hair thinning, excessive hair loss lead to balding. So, dandruff isn’t the only contributor to a man’s hair loss nor is it the largest contributor. In fact, hair loss caused by dandruff is solvable within the confines of your home!
Hacks to defeat Hair loss
1. Using a medicated anti dandruff shampoo
2. Investing in the right hair growth products like hair growth gummies, anti-hair fall shampoo and minoxidil based products.
4. Oiling your hair is one of the easiest and most accessible home remedies to boost hair growth. It stimulates growth and strengthens roots along with a myriad of other benefits. An added benefit of oiling is the massage aspect of it which stimulates blood flow in the scalp region.
5. A survey that tracked the effect of scalp massages revealed that the hair loss of 340 men either stabilized or stopped. The blood circulation to the scalp increased rate of hair regrowth upon massaging the scalp twice a day for a total of 4 minutes, over 6 months.
6. Hair masks are effective ways to tackle hair loss at home!
7. Familiarize yourself with the concept of DHT Blockers.
8. Styling your hair in a way to embrace the hair fall is a better idea than stressing about it and losing more hair over it
In case you’re still confused about your itchy scalp, here are some tips
1. What are causes for dandruff apart from an oily scalp?
Skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, medical conditions like Parkinson’s and even stress can make you prone to dandruff.
Foods can also create dandruff. Some of the foods are sugar, cheese, white wine, champagne and caffeine. They cause inflammation, insulin formation and higher oil secretion in our bodies that go on to contribute to dandruff. The simplest natural home remedy for dandruff would be to eat these foods in limited quantities.
2. What are simple and natural home remedies to cure dandruff?
When applied to the scalp, oil, neem, Apple cider vinegar, curd and aloe vera are natural dandruff remedies. Managing stress could be a great start.
Otherwise, we’ve tried ACV and absolutely love the result. Mix equal parts of ACV and water and massage it into your hair after washing it. Allow this to sit for 15 minutes and rinse it off in the shower. Be sure to do this twice a week!
Curd is another amazing dandruff warrior. Applying curd to your itchy scalp at least 15 minutes before your shower and then proceeding with your regular hair care regime is your hack. Be sure to remove the curd from the refrigerator so you’re not chilling your scalp!
3. Is Hair Loss Due To Dandruff Temporary Or Permanent?
Reasons for hair loss, like alopecia, can be extremely complex. Unlike those, hair fall due to dandruff is not permanent. The hair grows back as soon as the dandruff is done away with. Aloe vera for dandruff is the best natural treatment.
Will Hair Loss From Dandruff Grow Back?
Yes, once the dandruff is resolved and out of your scalp, the lost hair is sure to grow back. Home remedies and minute diet corrections can impact the rate of hair growth to a large extent.
Our tried and tested recommendation is onion juice. Blend two onions, strain it, and apply the juice to your scalp. Keep this on for at least an hour and then proceed for your shower.
Its antifungal and antibacterial properties keep your scalp healthy and boosts hair growth. Adding oil to the juice will help reduce the pungent smell to a certain extent. Do this once a week and let us know in the comments if this worked for you!
Let us know in the comments down below, how you took action against dandruff and hair loss. We are excited to hear how you stepped in to resolve this routine with an absolutely kickass daily regime. Tag us on Instagram @manmatters.official to share your progress with us.