There are plenty of Indian superfoods in our pantry and kitchen that we may not be aware of. Drumstick is probably one such vegetable that is loaded with vitamins and is also very healthy.
Drumsticks, also known as moringa, are indeed an excellent addition to any diet.
The most popular way to consume drumsticks is with meals, but there are plenty of other ways you can incorporate them into your diet and reap their benefits.
This article explains the multiple health benefits of drumstick, nutritional profile, and the best ways to consume it regularly.
What is Drumstick (Moringa)?
India has a rich culinary culture with different types of vegetables used in various Indian cuisines. One such interesting vegetable is Drumstick. It deserves our attention because of its high nutritional value. You might have seen what a drumstick is in sambhar or soups, but have you wondered what its health benefits are?
Drumstick is popularly known as Saijan ki phali or moringa. It has different names in different regions of India. Drumstick’s scientific name is Moringa oleifera. It is native to South Asia and India. The edible parts of the drumstick are its leaves, stem, stalks and seed pods. They are used in various drumstick recipes such as curries, soup, pickles, salads and sambhar.
Drumstick Scientific Name
The scientific name for drumstick is Moringa oleifera.
In a serving of 100 grams of drumstick, the nutrients found are -
- 8.28 grams of carbohydrates
- 2.0 grams of dietary fibre
- 1.40 grams of fat
- 9.40 grams of protein
- 375 calories
Additionally, it is also rich in vitamin A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B-6
Folate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc.
It is also extremely low in fats and contains no harmful cholesterol.
How to Select a Drumstick?
It is advised to select a drumstick that:
- Has smooth and green pods
- Does not have pronounced seed bumps on the stick
- Are crunchy and tender
Here are 10 amazing health benefits of eating a drumstick:
1) Strengthening immune system:
Drumstick is loaded with vitamin c and antioxidants. This helps purify the blood. Drumstick soup is consumed during cough, common cold, asthma, flu and other common infections as well.
2) Augments bone health:
Drumstick seeds and leaves are rich in calcium, phosphorus and iron. It can improve bone density in older adults and help manage fragile bones and arthritis.
3) Improves digestion:
It stimulates the secretion of digestive juices, helps in the breakdown of carbs, regularises bowel movement and thus promotes smooth functioning of the digestive system.
4) Regulates high blood pressure and diabetes:
The high antioxidants present in the moringa improve blood circulation and thus regulate blood pressure. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels, reduce weight and prevent blood sugar spikes.
5) Supports kidney health:
The addition of drumsticks in the regular diet can reduce the development of kidney stones and help clear toxins from the kidney. It also helps enhance the function of the gallbladder.
6) Reduces the risk of cancer:
Ample amounts of vitamin A, C, beta-carotene and other nutrients present in the drumsticks help lower the risk of developing cancer.
7) Supports liver health:
It stimulates the production of certain chemicals that shield the liver from harmful toxins.
8) Promotes good eye health:
Drumstick has antioxidants that are beneficial in treating dry eyes, cataracts, and other eye problems.
9) Improves skin health:
Drumstick is used in beauty products. It has cleansing and hydrating properties, which promotes good skin health. It also protects the skin from the harmful effects of pollutants. The paste from drumstick leaves is used to treat boils, pimples and gives instant clean-up.
10) Delays signs of aging:
Drumstick leaves powder benefits in reducing wrinkles and acne and lessens aging signs. They act as a natural remedy to improving skin tone, tightening the skin and reducing large pores.
Drumstick Benefits for Female
The drumsticks benefits for females are:
- Promotes the overall health of women during pregnancy.
- Helps reduce the morning sickness symptoms in pregnant women.
- Improves milk secretion in breastfeeding mothers.
- Helps boost sexual health.
- Helps improve fertility.
- Helps improve the immune system.
Drumstick Benefits for Male
The drumstick benefits for males are:
- Helps improve prostate health.
- Helps improve libido.
- Helps manage erectile dysfunction.
- Improves testosterone levels.
- Helps improve fertility in men with decreased sperm count and sperm motility problems.
Drumstick Benefits for Sperm
The drumstick benefits for sperm in males are:
- Improves vitality of sperm
- Improves sperm count
- Increase sexual vigor
Drumstick Soup Benefits
1. Protecting and nourishing skin and hair
As a protein-rich food, drumstick soup helps protect hair from free radical damage and maintains hair health. Additionally, it has anti-ageing properties to prevent skin from getting damaged. Additionally, it contains hydrating and detoxifying elements, improving the skin and hair.
It can be successful in curing skin infections and sores.
2. Treating edema
Edema is a painful condition caused by fluid accumulation in certain human tissues. Moringa's anti-inflammatory properties may prevent the onset of edema.
3. Preventing and treating cancer
Drumstick soup contains niazimicin, a substance that inhibits the growth of cancer cells and other properties that might prevent cancer from developing.
4. Treating stomach complaints
Drumstick soup can treat stomach disorders such as constipation, gastritis, and ulcerative colitis. Moringa has antibiotic and antibacterial properties that inhibit the growth of various pathogens, and its high vitamin B content aids in digestion.
5. Fighting against bacterial diseases
As a result of its antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties, drumstick soup might be able to treat infections caused by Salmonella, Rhizopus, and E. coli.
6. Protecting the liver
Drumstick soup appears to protect the liver from damage caused by anti-tubercular drugs and may speed up the process of its repair.
7. Making bones healthier
Moringa, which has anti-inflammatory properties, may help alleviate conditions such as arthritis and may also help heal damaged bones. Drumstick soup also has calcium and phosphorous, contributing to healthy and strong bones.
8. Treating asthma
The soup may reduce the severity of asthma attacks and protect against bronchial constriction. It has also been shown to improve lung function and respiratory health.
9. Protecting against kidney disorders
The anti-oxidants in drumstick soup might help reduce kidney toxicity levels, reducing the risk of kidney stones, bladder stones, and uterine stones.
10. Treating diabetes
Drumstick soup reduces the level of glucose and sugar in the blood and in urine, which improves haemoglobin levels and protein content in those tested.
11. Improving eye health
Drumstick may improve eyesight due to its high antioxidant level. It may also reduce retinal dilation, prevent the thickening of capillary membranes, and inhibit retinal dysfunction.
Drumstick (Moringa) Side Effects
Though drumstick leaves, flowers, stalk or seed pods are considered safe for eating, they can have certain side effects. If consumed in large quantities, the following drumstick side effects can be seen:
- Lower blood pressure.
- Slow heart rate.
- If drumstick bark is consumed, it can cause uterine contractions and stomach cramps.
- Interference with blood sugar levels can cause low blood sugar levels.
- Interference with fertility.
It is recommended to not consume drumsticks with:
- Thyroid medications.
- Hypertensive drugs.
- Also, it is advised not to consume drumstick root extracts.
Regular consumption of drumsticks is beneficial for everyone's health. A healthy drumstick soup benefits people with diabetes, helps fights acne and pimples, prevents infections, promotes heart health, and improves the immune system.
- In a pressure cooker, melt butter and sauté garlic, ginger and drumsticks for a few seconds and then stir in onions and onions for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water and salt, and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- After the steam escapes, open the lid. Add milk to the mixture and blend until it becomes smooth.
- After straining the mixture, transfer it into a non-stick saucepan and add jeera and pepper powder. Boil for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring the mixture.
- Drumstick soup is best served hot with toasted bread.
- Pour water, turmeric powder, salt, and drumstick pieces into a saucepan and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, black gram, curry leaves and when the seeds splutter, add the onions and sauté until lightly browned.
- Mix ginger, garlic, red chillies, peanuts, and a little water to make a paste.
- Stir in the cooked drumsticks with the onions and the masala.
- Mix the salt with the tamarind pulp and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- It is best served with steaming rice.
Summing Up on Drumstick Benefits
Moringa is an excellent herb for women; it can be found readily in the market as capsules, powders, and tea. It is used widely in the Indian subcontinent and most prominently in Ayurvedic treatment for pain.
Considering so many health benefits in females, it is no surprise that it is so prevalent in India and neighbouring countries.
Is Drumstick Good for Hair Growth?
Drumsticks are rich in vitamins A, C, E, Iron, and Zinc, which act as a natural stimulant for new hair growth and to repair damaged hair follicles. In addition, they ensure that the oil glands surrounding hair follicles function properly. In addition, Moringa contains complete amino acids and antioxidants that nourish your hair. So, in a nutshell, YES, drumstick or moringa is good for hair growth.
Can We Eat Drumstick Daily?
Yes, you can consume drumsticks every day.
Can Moringa Cure Pimples?
Drumstick has potent antibacterial properties which aid in the prevention of acne breakouts. The collagen protein found in drumsticks also shrinks pores and tightens the skin. When taken as a powder or leaf, moringa helps purify the blood, resulting in clearer, healthier skin.