Generally, there is nothing to worry about if you have dryness on the penis. It does not cause severe medical issues and is not a symptom of serious diseases. However, you may experience itching, peeling, redness, or rashes on your penis skin. This can be a problem when it leads to deep cracks on the penis and bleeding. Let us further explore the causes behind the same through this blog.
Dry Skin on Penis Causes
Research suggests that Penis skin can become dry due to an allergic reaction because of a specific material or substance. Examples of such substances are latex, perfumes, detergents, spermicide, and specific cloth fabric. Besides, you may experience sneezing, wheezing, a runny nose, and watery eyes.
Also read: Foreskin tear- Everything you need to know
How to prevent it?
Using latex-free condoms, avoiding artificially fragranced perfumes, and wearing comfortable clothing.
Dry Sex or Masturbation
Performing sexual activities or masturbating without a lubricant can make the penis dry.
The process causes friction and eventual chafing, leading to penis skin peeling.
How to prevent it?
A water-based lubricant works best to prevent further dryness. Also, using a lubricant increases comfort during sex or masturbation. Remember to avoid ingredients like glycerine and parabens in your lubricant as they irritate penis skin.
If you notice a penis skin rash, swelling, or discharge with skin irritation on the penis, it might be because of a yeast infection.
There are two kinds of yeast infections - jock itch and Balanitis. According to a study, 30-35% of men get Balanitis from Candida. This is a fungus that generally lives on the skin and inside your body.
How to prevent it?
Using antifungal creams like Miconazole can be effective. Wearing comfortable underwear and changing it regularly is advised to avoid irritation on penis skin.
Chronic Skin Conditions
Dry penis skin occurs because of chronic skin conditions such as Eczema or Psoriasis. Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin condition frequently affecting male genitalia.
Approximately 63% of men with Psoriasis have genital Psoriasis once in their life. You may notice white plaque without scales or a red ring around the affected area.
Penile eczema is a skin condition that affects the penis and surrounding genital area. Itchy, dry, discoloured skin and discomfort are some of its symptoms.
How to prevent it?
Keep the inflammation in control to avoid worsening the situation. In such cases, you must visit your doctor.
Glans Skin Damage: When to Consult an Expert?
Most penis skin peeling situations are easily treatable through home remedies. However, if you experience any of the following, you must visit your doctor:
- Home remedies are ineffective.
- The situation gets worse with time.
- When you first see symptoms after unprotected sex.
- Pain during urination
- Discharge from glans and other troubling symptoms.
Early consultation for dry penis skin can help you avoid severe penile illnesses. Even research suggests that conditions like eczema or treatment of Psoriasis require an expert for better results.
Home Remedies for Dry Skin on Penis
Below-mentioned are home remedies that help treat dry, cracked foreskin treatment. In exceptional cases, however, you may need to consult a doctor.
Avoid Showering with Hot Water
Hot water takes away the skin’s natural oils, leaving the penis dry. Since the skin of your genitals is sensitive, lukewarm water is the best. If you don’t mind taking a cold shower once in a while, go for it.
Use A Penis Moisturizer
Various studies have found that one cannot overlook the importance of moisturization in treating dry foreskin. Emollient ointment like Aquaphor or products with Shea butter provides relief from chafing and irritation. According to a study, Mupirocin is also an effective penis ointment to treat Balanitis. You can also use some effective penis lotions to treat peeling skin under the foreskin or cracks in the penis. Effective tight foreskin remedies are also worth taking a look at.
Also read: What is a Curved Penis? Causes, risks, sex positions, and more
The application of coconut oil is the most natural way to reduce dryness on penis skin. It is an effective lubricant and a vital ingredient to treat the dryness of the penis. According to a study, coconut oil is more efficient than mineral oil for treating dermatitis.
You can use coconut oil for dry skin around the private area, dry skin around the base and shaft, and dry foreskin treatment without worrying about side effects.
Maintain Good Hygiene
Male yeast infection skin peeling is a common problem. Poor hygiene can lead to the conditions mentioned above, like a yeast infection or Balanitis. Experts recommend washing the penis with a mild soap at least once a day to ensure good hygiene.
Proper hydration is an incredible way to ensure that your dry skin gets moisturized. Some doctors also recommend avoiding sex or masturbation to treat a dry penis head or penis cracks.
These home remedies are straightforward and prevent cracked skin on the penis. However, if you feel that the situation refuses to get better, you must seek guidance from an expert.
- Yogesh S. Marfatia, Dimpal Patel, Devi S. Menon, Smriti Naswa; Genital contact allergy: A diagnosis missed - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4857673/
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology; LATEX ALLERGY - https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/latex-allergy
- Jacqueline M. Achkar, Bettina C. Fries, April 2010; Candida Infections of the Genitourinary Tract - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2863365/
- NHS; How to keep a penis clean - https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sexual-health/how-to-keep-a-penis-clean/
- University of Tennessee Medical Centre; The Importance of Moisturizing - https://www.utmedicalcenter.org/the-importance-of-moisturizing/
- Mara Therese Padilla Evangelista, Flordeliz Abad-Casintahan, Lillian Lopez-Villafuerte; The effect of topical virgin coconut oil on SCORAD index, transepidermal water loss, and skin capacitance in mild to moderate pediatric atopic dermatitis: a randomized, double-blind, clinical trial - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24320105/
- Rachel Reiff Ellis, January 2018; Shower Tips for Sensitive Skin - https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/sensitive-skin-shower-tips
- Kristen M. Beck, Eric J. Yang, Isabelle M. Sanchez, Wilson Liao, August 2018; Treatment of Genital Psoriasis: A Systematic Review - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6261118/