Being tall enhances your personality and makes you more confident. However, many times children and young adults don't reach their ideal height because of imbalanced nutrition. In this article, we will discuss certain height increase foods that provide vital nutrients and stimulate the secretion of growth hormones.
Is It Possible to Increase Height by Consuming Food?
Yes, consuming height increase food can enhance the height of an individual. As per studies, height depends on genetics, hormones, and sex. Although you cannot grow taller once you reach a certain height, food can help. Ensuring essential nutrients in the diet can promote proper growth and development of the body.
Is It Possible for Children?
Yes, children are at a growing age. Eating the right food can help children as their bones and muscles develop. As per a study, apart from genes, nutrition and other lifestyle habits can affect height. So, focusing on their diet and physical activities can boost their growth.
Till What Age Is This Effective?
Genes determine the height of a person, and it is found that a person stops growing after the age of 18 years.
Nutrients That Help Increase Height
The essential nutrients in the food maintain the bones, muscles and joint structure. They keep the body healthy and help to reach maximum height. Such nutrients are-
Specific vitamins required for height increase are-
- Vitamin A: 4000-5000 IU of vitamin A promotes height growth. It is found in papaya, spinach, tomatoes, beetroots, and leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin B1: It promotes body growth, maintains the digestive system, and blood supply to organs. It also helps with the proper functioning of the heart and nervous system. All these are essentials for the body to grow. Some sources of vitamin B1 are peanuts and soybeans.
- Vitamin B2: Most popular height booster, vitamin B2 contributes to the growth of skin, hair, nails, and bones. It must be included in everyday diet to promote the overall growth of the body. Foods rich in vitamin B2 are leafy vegetables, eggs, milk, and fish.
- Vitamin C: It is a height growing vitamin for adults. It flushes out toxins, and strengthens bones and teeth. Foods rich in vitamin C are guava, kiwi, grapefruit, tomatoes, berries, and citrus fruits.
- Vitamin D: It helps increase height in adults by making bones longer and stronger. It is best to bask in the morning sun for vitamin D, in addition to consuming height increase food rich in this nutrient like tomatoes, milk, cauliflower, potatoes and fatty fish.
Calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium helps information and maintenance of the bone structure. As per studies, it is central to the growth and development of the body.
Calcium increases body growth by strengthening bones and increasing bone length. Milk, dairy products, spinach, and turnips are rich in calcium. They should be included in the daily diet.
Phosphorus helps in the absorption of vitamin B2. It prevents bone loss and diseases like rickets that delay bone growth. Nuts, beans, and fish should be taken as dietary supplements for phosphorus.
Height Increase Foods - Research-Backed
A well-balanced diet loaded with different height increase foods boosts overall growth, development, and health. Here are a few height increase food that should be included in the diet, especially in children's diet-
1. Beans and Legumes
Research suggests beans and legumes are good sources of protein that are shown to increase growth factor 1 (IGF-1). Beans are also packed with iron and vitamin B. Both are required for tissue growth and red blood cells formation. As per studies, lack of iron can cause iron-deficiency anaemia, which is also responsible for delayed growth.
Not just iron, beans and legumes are rich in other micronutrients too. Such as copper, magnesium, zinc, manganese and fibre. They all support the growth and development of the body.
What’s more, almonds also help foster bone health and promote bone formation. Also, almonds are loaded with antioxidants and vitamin E. As per another research, a lack of vitamin E can lead to stunted growth in children.
This nutritious and height increase food is rich in protein, vitamin B12 and taurine amino acids. Vitamin B12 is crucial for maintaining height, while taurine amino acid regulates bone growth and formation.
According to the US Department of Agriculture, 100 grams of chicken serving has 23 grams of protein. Also, it contains other essential nutrients required for overall growth, such as niacin, selenium, phosphorus, and vitamin B6.
4. Green Leafy Vegetables
Kale, spinach, cabbage and other green leafy vegetables offer vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron. They are superfoods when it comes to nutrition. As per studies, they have a high concentration of vitamin K responsible for bone density that supports height and enhances growth. Regular intake of leafy vegetables also maintains bone mass.
5. Sweet Potatoes
It is loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, potassium and dietary fibres. Vitamin A in this height increases food, improves bone health and helps you grow taller. The soluble and insoluble fibres in sweet potatoes promote digestive health and help in the growth and development of the body. As per studies, it helps maintain healthy gut bacteria that boost nutrient absorption required by the body to grow.
As per the US Department of Agriculture, 200 grams of Greek yoghurt has around 20 grams of protein. It is also rich in minerals responsible for bone metabolisms like calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus.
The beneficial gut bacteria n it supports gut health, improves immune functions and decreases inflammation. Some studies reveal that probiotics support increased growth in children.
Research indicates that quinoa is among a few plant-based foods with all nine essential amino acids. It is also an excellent source of magnesium, which according to reports, improves bone density. Also, quinoa is loaded with folate, manganese and phosphorus responsible for maintaining bone health.
A single large egg contains 6 grams of protein. Additionally, eggs are rich in vitamin D, responsible for calcium absorption from the gut, which helps to maintain skeletal health.
A study revealed that when children with low vitamin D levels were given supplements or food rich in the nutrient, they showed increased growth in six months. Another study showed that regular intake of eggs is associated with increased monthly height in children.
9. Fermented food and Probiotics
They contain healthy gut bacteria. They aid in digestion and help the body absorb essential nutrients from the food. According to research, these foods help in the growth of children.
Other Ways to Increase Height as an Adult
Well, you cannot increase height after achieving a certain age, but some ways can make an adult look taller:
- Practising good posture helps keep proper space between vertebrae and makes a person look stronger and taller.
- Strengthens core muscles to support spines
- Exercise regularly to avoid the accumulation of extra inches around the waist.
- You may lose half an inch in height because of age-related shrinkage of height. It can be due to fragile bones, spine compression, and other causes. To avoid it do the following:
- Maintain healthy diet
- Avoid smoking
- Get proper sleep
- Eat plenty of calcium-rich foods
- Weight-bearing exercises
- Ensure proper hydration
Summing Up on Height Increase Food
Food provides essential nutrients that promote the growth and development of the body. Including food for height growth in your everyday diet can help you remain fit and gain more confidence, making you stand tall and promoting overall growth.
Having these foods ensures you get all the essential vitamins, minerals, protein, and amino acids required by the body to grow. Also, working out and practising yoga with a trained instructor can help you gain a few inches.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
Which Vitamin Increases Height?
Vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin C and vitamin D are essential to increasing height. Along with calcium and phosphorus, they ensure proper growth and development of the body.
Does Milk Increase Height?
Yes, milk supports the growth of the body by supplying essential nutrients to it. It is rich in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and protein. As per a study, cow milk can stimulate growth in children, support weight gain, and aid in muscle development.
Which Fruit Increases Height?
Berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are rich in vitamin C. As per studies, Vitamin C boosts collagen production, tissue repair, and cell growth. Studies also show that it can improve bone growth and density. Also, berries are rich in vitamins, minerals, fibres, and manganese.
Do Bananas Increase Height?
Yes, bananas can increase height. They increase the bone strength and length required for the body to grow. They also have a very high amount of potassium, manganese, and calcium.
What Are Foods That Increase Height in Teenagers?
Here is a list of foods that increase height in teenagers-
- Fruits like citrus fruits, berries, papaya, watermelon, and apricots
- Almonds and other nuts
- Aaliyah seeds
- Fishes like Salmon
Which Vegetables Increase Height?
Kale, spinach, cabbage, sweet potatoes, and green leafy vegetables are known as height increase foods. Other than these, some vegetables help to increase your height naturally, even after you have crossed the growing age. Such vegetables are-
- Collard greens
- Brussels sprouts
- Bok choy
- Fima Lifshitz, June 2009; Nutrition and Growth - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3005655/
- Imogen Rogers, July 2006; Insulin-like growth factor-I and growth in height, leg length, and trunk length between ages 5 and 10 years - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16670160/
- Guoyao Wu, March 2016; Dietary protein intake and human health - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26797090/
- S Viguet-Carrin, 2006; The role of collagen in bone strength; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26797090/
- Tonya S Orchard, February 2014; Magnesium intake, bone mineral density, and fractures: results from the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3953885/