The condition of swelling or enlargement of breast tissue among men or boys is called Gynecomastia. Popularly known as man boobs or moobs, it usually occurs due to the rise in male estrogen levels or an imbalance in testosterone levels.
Causes of Man Boobs
Wondering what causes man boobs? Here are some of the common causes:
- Diseases or injury that affects the testicles (they make testosterone)
- Obesity (It causes the estrogen levels to rise). In such cases, you can opt for some teas for weight loss.
- Street drugs (Marijuana, heroin, methadone, amongst others) and alcohol.
- Liver disease
- Kidney failure (when blood no longer filters or clears)
- Malnutrition or starvation (results in hormonal imbalance)
Also read: Benefits of black coffee for weight loss
Foods that Cause Man Breasts
Other than the reasons mentioned above, some food items can cause Gynecomastia. For Gynecomastia self-care, here are a few foods that you should only consume in limited quantities:
Fried or Packaged Food
Having a copious amount of fried or packaged food every day can cause moobs. Fried food contains a lot of fat, which leads to obesity.
While soy products like tofu or edamame are high in protein, they also contain phytoestrogens. They are a plant form of human estrogens that can cause moobs in men.
Eggs and Dairy Products
Eggs and dairy products are super high in protein and low in fat. It makes them ideal for a nutritious diet. However, these products also contain chicken or cow estrogen. As it is identical to the human version of the hormone, excess consumption of eggs and dairy products can lead to Gynecomastia.
Wondering how to get rid of man boobs?
Exercises to Reduce Man Boobs
While some men suffer from severe Gynecomastia, others usually have man boobs because of excess fat on their chests. Both the conditions are perfectly normal to have. That said, excess fat can make you unfit. Here are a few man boobs exercises that you can practice.
When it comes to getting rid of chest fat, old is genuinely gold. One of the best core workouts that you can practice at home without any equipment is push-ups.
How to do it:
- Get down on all four.
- Firstly, maintain a straight torso and separate your legs slightly.
- Place your palms a little wider than the shoulders.
- Keep your arms half-bent and lower yourself.
- Keep going down until your chest is barely off the ground.
- Return to the starting position and repeat.
How often: Aim for 3 sets of 10-20 reps each daily.
How it helps: Doing Push-ups helps you work on your core, especially your chest. Plus, they help you reduce overall body weight and tighten chest muscles.
Another man boob exercise is the bench press. One of the most versatile chest workouts in fitness, bench press helps you lose fat and build strength. As per the American Council of Exercise, the bench press is one of the most effective chest exercises.
How to do it:
- Lie on the bench with your back arched and knees bent.
- Keep your feet on the ground
- Lift the barbell and hold it over your body
- Now lower the barbell mid-chest and breath in.
- Return to your original position and breath out.
How often: Do three sets of 12 reps each every day.
How it helps: Doing bench press helps in toning and strengthening chest muscles. As a result, you tend to lose chest fat and moobs.
Pec Dec Fly
The pec dec fly helps you increase muscle mass in the chest. Much like the bench press, this exercise is also an effective way of building chest muscles.
It also helps in strengthening your torso.
How to do it:
- Select an appropriate weight on the pec dec machine.
- Adjust the seat to ensure that the handles are even with your chest.
- After positioning yourself, grab the handles.
- Now bring the handles towards one another while keeping your back arched.
- Return to your original position and repeat.
How often: 3 sets of 15 reps every day.
How it helps: This exercise helps in strengthening and toning your pectoral muscle. Doing it consistently will make you feel stronger and help get rid of man boobs.
In addition to these exercises, you can also add some cardio, such as running, to your routine. Squats and planks help too. Doing these regularly will help you burn fat from your body. As a result, you’ll lose chest fat.
Dietary Changes for Reducing Man Boobs
Thinking about how to get rid of Gynecomastia? A vital aspect of reducing moobs is weight loss. To do so, focusing on your dietary habits is foremost. Apart from cutting down on the foods mentioned above, here are a few food items that you can add to your diet.
- Fruits like Apple, Banana, Papaya, and Blueberries.
- Vegetables like carrots, broccoli, and bell pepper.
- Green beans and spinach.
- Try Ayurvedic herbs like Ashwagandha for weight loss to speed up this process
Tip: Try to incorporate 2 medium-sized fruits into your daily diet. Have the first one as a part of your breakfast and the other as a snack. Moreover, try consuming your fruits and veggies raw.
How to Get Rid of Gynecomastia During Puberty
During puberty, the male body goes through a variety of hormonal changes. Sometimes, it results in the excess growth of the breast tissue affecting estrogens and androgens. While it can be a source of significant embarrassment, having man boobs is entirely normal.
You can use these hormonal changes to your advantage. Wondering how to remove Gynecomastia naturally?
All you have to do is adopt a healthy lifestyle with a good diet and regular exercise. You can even boost your weight loss plan with superfoods. Plus, abstinence from alcohol and drugs is essential. These changes will facilitate hormonal balance and help you get rid of man boobs.
In most cases, moobs are temporary. If Gynecomastia doesn’t get resolved even when puberty ends (16-18), you can get it removed surgically. Consult a doctor for the same.