Have you ever experienced an inability to achieve or sustain an erection? Do you find it challenging to have the desired erection for sexual intimacy with your partner? This is known as erectile dysfunction and can be due to various causes. Men require an adequate blood supply to their penis for it to function correctly. Let’s understand the importance of blood flow and how to increase the blood flow to the penis naturally.
Why is Blood Flow to Penis Important?
When aroused, your brain signals the blood vessels that supply the penis to dilate. This promotes increased blood flow that causes extension and contraction of the specific tissues within the penis. The muscles compress the veins that carry the blood away from the penis to maximise blood retention within the penis.
In short, it means that it maximises the blood flow to the penis and reduces the blood flow away from it. A healthy erection can need up to 8 times the amount of blood as compared to when it is flaccid. So when this flow gets hampered, the problem starts.
What Stops Blood Flow to the Penis?
The blood flow to your penis is directly related to your heart and blood circulation. So any derangement in that will interrupt the blood flow to the penis. Causes of reduced blood flow to the penis include:
- Atherosclerosis - deposition of fat inside the blood vessels, making them hard. This limits blood flow in the penis. Atherosclerosis has multiple causes like diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, alcohol, or smoking.
- Obesity and erectile dysfunction are interlinked, with men who are overweight or obese being more likely to experience some sexual performance issues.
- Uncontrolled and very high blood pressure damages the blood vessels, reducing the diameter of the vessels, and ultimately decreasing the flow of blood throughout the body.
- Smoking causes clogging of arteries with plaque meaning your blood can’t flow healthily, and can eventually cause a heart attack.
- Low testosterone levels - If a person has a testosterone deficiency, they may have symptoms like a low sex drive, fatigue, reduced erectile function, irritability, depression, etc.
- Kidney disease
- Certain medications
How to Increase Blood Flow to Penis Naturally?
Taking care of your heart and blood circulation is the first step. This will make a big difference in your sex life, improve your overall health, and make you feel more energised.
Suppose you are not suffering from any major illness. In that case, a lifestyle modification will be a game-changer in helping you understand how to increase blood flow to the penis naturally.
Let us understand how to increase the blood flow to the penis naturally.
- The foods you consume have a significant impact on your blood flow. Eat a nutritious diet that is full of vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
- When you exercise regularly and make it a routine, this can cause a reduction in your blood pressure, which in turn helps in the healthy flow of blood and improves your overall health status.
- Weight management helps improve your stamina and maintains good blood circulation throughout your body.
- Reduce your alcohol intake and avoid nicotine to stay healthy and maintain good blood circulation.
- Reduce stress to stay mentally and physically calm and healthy.
- Proper sleep helps repair and restore your body at night to function normally the next day.
Foods to Increase Blood Flow to Penis
Looking for how to increase the blood flow to the penis naturally? Food plays a significant role in improving your blood circulation. Read on to know the best foods that boost your health.
In a 2015 review of scientific study data, researchers found that cinnamon contains cinnamaldehyde and cinnamic acid. These two components can produce nitric oxide, which helps in the dilation of blood vessels. This can help increase the blood flow to the penis naturally.
The omega-3 fatty acids in fish are an excellent source of protein and are also suitable for blood flow. It has multiple benefits, including a reduction in resting blood pressure.
In a three-month study on patients with coronary artery disease, researchers found that regular consumption of garlic may improve endothelial (inner lining of blood vessels) function, which ultimately helps relax arteries (blood vessels) and increase blood flow throughout the body.
Studies show that onions are rich in flavonoid antioxidants, which help dilate your arteries and improve your cardiovascular health.
5. Nitrate-Rich Vegetables
Vegetables like spinach, beets, and collard greens have a rich nitrate content. The nitrate is converted into nitric oxide by the body, which increases blood flow throughout your body and can improve your cardiovascular health.
6. Citrus Fruits
Lemons, oranges, grapefruits, and other citrus fruits contain large amounts of flavonoids, which are linked to improved blood flow and the health of your heart.
Some nuts, such as almonds and walnuts, are rich in components like iron and magnesium that can improve blood flow and the health of your heart and blood vessels.
This spice contains curcumin linked to increased blood flow.
9. Red Hot Peppers
Studies show that the capsaicin in these peppers is linked to improved blood flow throughout your body.
10. Dark Chocolate
Like onions and citrus fruits, chocolate with a high cacao percentage is rich in flavonoids that can improve the function of your heart.
Foods to Avoid
You should avoid some foods if you are trying to increase the blood flow to your penis naturally. These include:
Salty foods increase the amount of sodium in your blood, which in turn can cause your blood pressure to rise. An increase in your blood pressure can damage the blood vessels that supply blood to your penis. Avoid chips, pickles, and processed foods.
Increased sugar intake can increase your risk of developing diabetes, a disorder that can damage your blood flow. Avoid excessive sugars in any form like sweets, pastries, sugary drinks, etc.
3. Trans Fats
The worst form of dietary fat that has no health benefits. Avoid cakes, pastries, cookies, processed foods, and fried foods.
Along with the food, you should keep yourself hydrated to increase the blood flow to your penis naturally. While there’s no ideal amount of water that you should drink, stick to an intake of 2-3 litres daily.
How to Increase Blood Flow to Penis Naturally Exercise?
It is a well-known fact that exercising regularly can lower your blood pressure levels. In addition, it helps in healthy blood flow and improves your general health.
In a 2018 scientific review, researchers stated the importance of different types of exercises and their impact on reducing baseline blood pressure. Any form of exercise is an excellent way to boost the health of your heart and your body’s blood flow.
Two important exercises that can help you increase the blood flow to your penis naturally are:
1. Kegel Exercises
This exercise helps improve the strength of the pelvic floor muscles (a group of muscles that support your bladder, bowel, and uterus in females).
A study conducted at the University of the West in the United Kingdom found that pelvic exercises helped 40% of men with Erectile dysfunction regain normal erectile function. These exercises also helped an additional 33.5% significantly improve erectile function.
The best method to locate the pelvic floor muscles is to stop your urine stream several times in the middle of urination. The muscles that you clench to do this are the ones you need to exercise.
To perform a set of Kegel exercises, squeeze those pelvis muscles, hold for five seconds, and then relax. Repeat this process ten to twenty times, two or three times every day. These exercises can be done while sitting, standing, or lying down.
2. Aerobic Exercises
If you do not have any underlying medical condition, it is easy to naturally increase the blood flow to your penis. Making specific lifestyle changes and dietary modifications can help improve the blood flow to your penis. Communicate with your partner and understand what works for you to sustain an erection. Consult a doctor in case of any significant issue while trying to achieve or maintain an erection.
How Much Blood Does It Take to Get Hard?
The actual amount of blood needed to achieve an erection varies among people. On average, it is about 130 mL or 4.4 ounces. It is a small fraction of the 4,500 to 5,600 mL of blood that circulates throughout the adult human body at any given time.
Since an erection needs a comparatively small amount of blood, there’s no increased blood production in the body. But blood is redirected to supply the tissues in the penis.
How Can I Make My Penis Strong?
Sexual health depends upon your overall health status. Lifestyle modifications will help improve your health and ultimately keep your heart in shape and blood circulation in check resulting in a strong penis.
Modifications in diet, weight, sleep, alcohol consumption and smoking, and exercises can help increase the blood flow to your penis naturally. In addition, managing your anxiety, stress, and depression dramatically impacts your health.
How Can I Increase My Blood Flow Quickly?
There are several things that you can do to increase the blood flow to your penis naturally and quickly:
- Increasing cardiovascular exercise like running, biking or walking can help boost circulation. Also, stretching before and after exercising helps maintain your muscles.
- The sooner you quit smoking, the quicker your health will improve.
- The antioxidants in green tea help increase the width of the blood vessels so that your body can pump blood more easily.
- Include more omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. Fish like tuna and sardines can help improve blood flow and are very beneficial for your heart health.
- If you are anaemic (low haemoglobin levels), take iron supplements or eat iron-rich food. When you are deficient in iron (or anaemic), you don’t have enough red blood cells to circulate oxygen throughout your body.
- Before bathing or taking a shower, gently brush your skin in long and upward strokes by using a soft brush. This process will increase your blood flow. Make it a point to start at your feet and move up to your heart.
- Decrease stress with meditation, yoga, or spending time with loved ones.
- By elevating your legs above the body level, your blood flows back to the heart. Wearing compression socks helps put pressure on your feet, which will help the blood vessel push blood through the body up to the heart.
- Pallavi Kawatra, June 2015; Cinnamon: Mystic powers of a minute ingredient - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4466762/
- Grace Dorey, August 2015; Pelvic floor exercises for erectile dysfunction - https://bjui-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2005.05690.x
- Amy Rees, December 2018; The Effects of Flavonoids on Cardiovascular Health: A Review of Human Intervention Trials and Implications for Cerebrovascular Function - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315948/
- Marjan Mahdavi-Roshan, May 2017; Effects of garlic on brachial endothelial function and capacity of plasma to mediate cholesterol efflux in patients with coronary artery disease - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5731260/