What is Ice Apple?
Ice apples are also called Tagdola or Nungu. This fruit is similar to lychee in terms of consistency. They are also tasty and tender, like coconuts. These fruits are a great way to beat the summer's heat and enjoy the various health benefits presented by the fruit.
What Is Ice Apple Called in Hindi?
You may not have heard about ice apples, but you may recognise the name of ice apple in Hindi. Ice apples are often called Nungu in Hindi and are usually found in the southern parts of India. This popular summer fruit is seasonal by nature and works as an excellent coolant during the heat.
Ice Apple Calories
Ice apple or nungu cools down your body without adding extra calories to your diet. Nungu is loaded with phytonutrients which are vital compounds found exclusively in plants. It also contains calcium and carbohydrates that keep you healthy and energised. You can easily add nungu to your diet since an ice apple contains only 43 calories per 100 grams of serving. Ice apples can be a great addition to your diet, especially if you are looking for low-calorie fruits.
Ice Apple Benefits
There are several benefits of eating nungu or ice apples.
- It's loaded with phytonutrients that are excellent sources of antioxidants.
- The phytochemicals present in nungu possess anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help slow down ageing while reducing the risk of developing severe diseases.
- Ice apple is also a wonderful fruit for people looking for foods to help them lose or maintain weight.
- Eating an ice apple can make you feel full for a long time hence reducing food cravings.
- The coolant effect of ice apple helps in reducing heat strokes and the development of rashes.
- Applying the flesh of nungu on rashes can reduce inflammation and soothe irritated skin.
- Ice apple also helps in solving digestive problems such as indigestion, cramps, constipation or bloating.
Are There Any Side Effects of Eating Ice Apple?
Ice apples or nungu have various health benefits that can uplift your health and help prevent diseases. There are no side effects of eating ice apples since the fruit is loaded with nutrients and vitamins that can boost your immune system and improve your health overall.
Ice Apple Recipe
You can enjoy an ice apple in the form of a kheer.
- Take four Ice apples and remove their skins.
- Cut them into small pieces.
- Add ten blanched almonds, ¼ tsp of cardamom powder, and the cut ice apples into a grinder and blend it until it achieves a smooth consistency.
- Next, add some milk to a pan and combine the almond mixture into it.
- Cook the mix on a medium flame until the mixture thickens.
- You can add half a cup of sugar and cook the nungu kheer for three to four minutes.
- Remove your ice apple kheer and allow it to cool down.
- Refrigerate the kheer for one hour and serve it chilled.
Is Ice Apple Good for Diabetics?
Ice apples can be eaten by people who have diabetes. Your body needs a lot of specific nutrients and vitamins to keep your immune system strong and healthy. Ice apple for diabetes is an excellent fruit filled with essential nutrients like Vitamin C, B7, A, and others that can boost your immune system over time without adding excessive calories to your diet. Since it keeps one full for a long time, it does not spike blood sugar levels. Ice apples can be eaten by people who have diabetes.
Ice Apple for Weight Loss
Losing weight can be challenging, especially when you don't know about foods to help you lose weight. Ice apple or nungu is a great choice for people looking to shed those extra kilos. Ice apple has a lot of water content and can help you feel satiated for a long time. It helps in reducing cravings and prevents binge eating. The coolant effect further makes ice apple an excellent post-workout snack. Ice apple can help you lose weight when taken with a sustainable diet that helps you remain in a calorie deficit.
Is It Safe to Eat Ice Apple During Pregnancy?
Pregnancy can be tough for expectant mothers. A lot of pregnant women face stomach cramps, pain, bloating, and many other issues. Ice apples in pregnancy can help reduce digestive problems and ease discomfort faced due to stomach issues. Ice apple also helps reduce episodes of morning sickness and boosts the quality of breast milk in mothers.
Ice Apple Price
Ice apple or nungu is a seasonal fruit that is a favourite amongst people during the summer heat. Depending on the quality and where nungu is being sold, ice apple prices can range between INR 8 to 10 per piece.