What is Karela Juice (Bitter Gourd)?
Also known as bitter gourd, karela juice is made using a fruit called bitter melon. The fruit has bumpy and rough skin and can be found in two variants. These include the Indian bitter melon and the Chinese. The latter one has a pale-green colour and grows to nearly 20 cm (8 inches).
It has wart-like bumps. The Indian variety has pointed ends and spiked skin. It grows to almost 10 cm (4 inches) and has a dark-green hue. However, both have white flesh on the inside. As the fruit ripens, the white flesh tends to grow more bitter. In order to make karela juice, either variety can be used.
Karela Juice Benefits
Wondering what some bitter gourd benefits are? Read on to know.
1. Helps With Hydration
Bitter gourd has high water content. That is why it’s an ideal summer juice option, as it’ll keep you hydrated.
2. Boost Your Immune System
The antioxidants present in karela juice work as a defence mechanism against multiple illnesses. By fighting bacteria and viruses, bitter gourd helps boost your immunity. Moreover, it also helps with indigestion and battles allergies.
3. Effective For Your Eyes
Since karela juice has compounds like vitamin A and beta-carotene that are healthy for your eyes, it helps in strengthening your eyesight.
4. Can Help Reduce Blood Sugar Levels
Karela juice may help reduce blood sugar levels. That is because it contains three such components that have shown glucose-lowering properties. These include vicine, charatine, and polypeptide-p.
5. May Reduce The Risk of Heart Attack
Karela Juice is known to lower bad cholesterol in the body. That is why it may reduce the risk of a stroke or heart attack.
6. Helps Prevent Viral Diseases
Karela Juice has potent antiviral properties that can stimulate the immune system. As a result, it activates your body’s natural killer cells to fight off viruses. These may include the human immunodeficiency virus or white spot syndrome virus.
7. May Help Prevent Cancer
There are anti-carcinogenic properties in karela juice. That is why it can be used as a cytotoxic agent against many types of cancers. In this way, bitter gourd may help prevent cancer.
8. Bitter Gourd Benefits For Skin
Around the world, individuals consume karela juice as a beauty aid. That is because many believe that it can boost your skin’s glow. It is also a rich source of antioxidants like vitamin A and vitamin C that help with wound healing and healthy skin. In a study, the bitter melon extract was used to heal the wounds of rats.
Each rat healed significantly faster. In numerous eastern medicine practices, karela juice is used to manage the symptoms of ulcers and eczema. It also protects your skin against harmful UV rays and diminishes wrinkles.
9. Karela Juice For Weight Loss
Karela juice helps activate insulin. In turn, insulin prevents the storage of sugar in the body as fat. Moreover, the bitter ground is super low in calories, making it an ideal choice for those trying to lose weight.
It also contains a super low amount of carbohydrates and fats. That is why a glass of karela juice not only fills your stomach but also prevents you from consuming unnecessary calories.
How To Make Karela Juice - Karela Juice Recipe
Here are some potent karela juice recipes:
- 1 cup deseeded and roughly chopped Karela (bitter gourd)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt To Taste
- Add the Karela to a mixer and add 1/2 cup water to it.
- Blend the mixture until smooth.
- Strain the mixture using 1/2 cup water.
- Add salt and lemon juice to it.
- Serve immediately.
Total Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
- 2 deseeded karela (Bitter gourd)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black salt
- Honey (to taste, optional)
- Get all the ingredients ready on a plate.
- While cutting the bitter gourd to make the juice, don’t remove the skin.
- Place the ginger and bitter gourd into the mixer to extract the juice.
- Add some water to the juicer and squeeze out the juice from the remaining pulp.
- Take a jar and pour the juice into it. Add lemon juice, turmeric powder, black salt, salt, and honey, and mix.
- Add water to adjust if need be.
- Check the salt level and adjust as required.
- Serve the juice immediately.
Total Preparation Time: 20-25 Minutes
Karela Juice Side Effects
While many individuals find Karela juice tasteful, others find it entirely unpalatable. That aside, drinking too much karela juice can be harmful. It can lead to adverse effects like diarrhoea, stomach pain, and an upset stomach.
While there is no scientific proof about how much karela juice is healthy to consume, it’s best to consume it in limited quantities. Given the juice’s effect on blood sugar, individuals with diabetes should consult their doctor before consuming it.