Neem for Acne
Neem (Azadirachta indica) is a fast-growing evergreen plant composed of loads of medicinal values. This medicinal plant has various benefits as an anti-allergic, antiviral, antimalarial, antibacterial, and antifungal agent. The active constituents in the neem tree are nimbin, azadirachtin, and nimbolide.
Neem is an active free radical scavenger owing to its rich source of antioxidants. Neem is found to exert activities to clean acne, pimples, or blemishes found on the skin. Neem leaves for the face can be used in several preparations, including pack, gel, neem oil for acne, face wash, or neem soap.
Benefits of Neem on skin
- Neem is used for eczema, dermatitis, acne, psoriasis and is a great way to remove pimples naturally and permanently
- It is used for skin bacterial or fungal infections.
- Neem leaves for skin lightening can also be used.
- Neem acts as a powerful immune booster and can be used in cases of inflammatory skin conditions.
- It can also be used in skin and blood purifying conditions.
- Neem provides antiviral treatment for warts, smallpox, and chickenpox, particularly when directly applied over the skin.
Also read: Why you should be eating neem leaves on an empty stomach
Best way to use Neem
- Neem leaves offer great benefits for the skin. Neem leaves can be used in a face pack that reduces acne resulting from microbial growth.
- Also, the Neem face pack consists of a high amount of Vitamin E, which helps the skin hold moisture and prevents skin drying. If the stem of neem leaves is used, skin tone gets improved, and one can remove blackheads easily.
- Natural face packs consisting of Neem or other skin-soothing herbs are less complex and pretty easy to use. They take care of the skin and also increase the blood circulation around the face.
- Effects of the face pack are usually short-term, and for regular skin maintenance, one must use it two to three times a week.
- Topical formulations of Neem available nowadays may include gel, lotion, cream, face pack, mask, face wash or cleansers.
Benefits of Applying Face Pack
- Helps in decreasing pimples, acne, marks, and scars.
- Removes dead cells of the skin.
- Controls the formation of wrinkles, fine lines and sagging on the skin.
- If used regularly, it improves the skin glow, texture and complexion.
- Prevents the premature ageing of the skin.
- Supplies essential nutrients to the skin.
- Delivers a soothing and relaxing effect on the skin.
- Combats the harmful effects of pollution and harsh climates.
- Makes the skin look young and healthy.
Other ingredients used in the Neem face pack and their benefits
Neem can be used as the main active constituent in the pack combined with other natural ingredients such as:
Enhances the skin's beauty. It contains natural compounds like carbs, amino acids, and lipids. Thus, balanced nutrition can be delivered to the skin. This keeps the skin healthy and clear. Neem and aloe vera face pack is found to exert antibacterial and antifungal properties. It actively helps in skin problems such as acne, scars and breakouts. This herbal face pack consists of an aqueous extract of Neem leaves, Aloe vera and rose water for keeping the skin smooth and hydrated.
Green tea leaves
These consist of rich phytoconstituents. It helps in slowing down skin aging, lowers inflammation and offers a healthy glow.
It is known for its blood purifying property and antiseptic activity (helps in wound healing). Turmeric traditionally cures skin problems that occur due to blood impurities. It is a very good anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory agent. It also contains certain phytoconstituents, chiefly terpenoids, that aid in lightening the skin tone. Turmeric helps in delaying the signs of ageing, such as wrinkles and improves skin elasticity. It also helps in curing skin pigmentation, dull skin, and an uneven skin tone.
Helps in removing the impurities in the form of dead skin cells. It helps in making the skin look young and radiant. It is best for irritation-prone skin. Its soothing action helps in calming the skin and cures skin inflammation. Multani mitti helps in removing the dirt and excess oil by acting as an excellent adsorbent.
Also read: Neem oil for dandruff
These natural face packs are not used only to treat acne; they can be used on the skin in general as well.
How to prepare a face pack?
- The materials are dried and powdered first.
- A powder of all the herbs that need to be added in the face pack is Neem, turmeric, Multani mitti, aloe vera, etc.
- Mix all the powder.
- Make a paste by mixing with rose water or buttermilk.
- Apply the paste on the face.
- Wash the face with fresh water.
Rashmi Saxena Pal, Yogendra Pal (2017) In-House Preparation and Standardization of Herbal Face Pack (The Open Dermatology Journal) https://opendermatologyjournal.com/VOLUME/11/PAGE/72/FULLTEXT/
Rokade Priya, Khadke Anand (2017) PREPARATION AND EVALUATION OF HERBAL ANTI –ACNE FACE PACK (World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research) https://wjpr.net/admin/assets/article_issue/1496226010.pdf
Debjit Bhowmik, Chiranjib1, Jitender Yadav (2010) Herbal Remedies of Azadirachta indica and its Medicinal Application (Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research) https://www.jocpr.com/articles/herbal-remedies-of-azadirachta-indica-and-its-medicinal-application.pdf
Anuj Kumar Dubey, Sunita Dhiman (2021) Antiviral Properties of Neem (International Peer Reviewed Journal for Pharmaceutical, Medical & Biological Sciences) https://www.ejpmr.com/home/abstract_id/5355