Potatoes, considered one of the most versatile root vegetables, is a common household staple. They are a type of underground tuber that grows on the Solanum tuberosum plant's roots. Potatoes are low-cost, easy-to-grow, and high in a range of nutrients.
What is Potato Juice?
In layman’s language, it is the juice produced by uncooked potatoes. Potato juice is high in vitamins B and C, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and copper, among other minerals.
As potato juice is dense in its nutrient base, it has a wide range of health benefits.
Potato Juice Nutrients
Vitamin C, potassium, calcium, iron, and other vital elements are all found in potato juice. And because the majority of the nutrients in potatoes are found in their skin, it is critical not to peel the skin while producing the juice at home.
Following is the nutritional info on raw potato juice:
Carbohydrates - 26 g
Dietary Fibre - 2 g
Sugar - 1 g
Protein - 3 g
Potassium - 620 g
Vitamin C - 45%
Calcium - 2%
Iron - 6%
The given percentages are estimated on a diet of 2,000 calories consumed in a day.
Potato Juice For Face
- Potatoes can tighten pores and provide anti-ageing benefits because they are high in iron, vitamin C, and riboflavin.
- Potato juice can help reduce puffiness around the eyes and under-eye circles and wrinkles.
- Potato juice is known for reducing acne-causing skin irritation due to its antioxidant properties that help fight free radicals.
- Potato juice is a natural whitening and bleaching agent containing potassium, fibre, B vitamins, manganese and Vitamin C. It helps tighten and erase stubborn tan lines from the skin, resulting in a more youthful appearance.
Potato Juice for Skin Whitening
You can use one of the most efficient face packs containing potato juice and honey for skin. Follow this process to make the pack at home:
- Peel the potato, cut it into pieces, and then grind it in a juicer for a DIY brightening mask.
- Use your fingertips to apply the liquid to your face.
- Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes before washing it off thoroughly.
- For more moisture, add a tablespoon of honey to the potato juice. For best results, repeat the technique daily.
Combine potato juice and lemon for face brightening and skin whitening. Potatoes have bleaching characteristics; therefore, they can naturally lighten dark skin. On the dark spots, apply the mixture to see blemishes vanish. The dark areas will be significantly brightened if this is done regularly.
Potato juice applied to the skin thus has a substantial effect. It can be used to heal blemishes, sunburns, dark spots, fine wrinkles, dull skin, and other skin conditions.
Potato Juice for Pigmentation
Catecholase is an enzyme found in potatoes that helps to lighten skin and reduce pigmentation. You may notice a visible difference after applying potato juice to the affected areas for 15-20 minutes every alternate day for a few months.
Potato Juice Face Packs
1) Tomato and Potato Juice Face For Acne
Combine 1 tablespoon potato juice and 1 tablespoon tomato juice/pulp in a mixing bowl. Mix in honey until a paste is formed. Apply it to your entire face, concentrating on the affected area.
Apply this mask of tomato and potato juice on face everyday for better results.
2) Rice Water and Potato Juice For Face
Combine 1 teaspoon juice from a potato, 1 tsp rice water, and 1 tsp lemon extract (optional). Allow it to dry after applying it to your face and neck. Using a circular motion, clean your face thoroughly.
Apply this pack twice a week to aid pigmentation.
3) Potato and Oatmeal Face Mask
In a mixing basin, mash three potatoes, and mix in two tablespoons of milk, one tablespoon oatmeal, and one tsp of lemon juice. Mix everything until you get a smooth paste. This paste should be applied twice a week to your face and left on for around 30 minutes. Remove it with lukewarm water.
4) Multani Mitti with Potato Juice Face Pack
Extract the juice from a raw potato by grating it. Make a thick paste with this juice and multani mitti. Allow 15 to 20 minutes for the paste to dry on your face and neck. Then, wash it away with lukewarm water.
5) Potato and Strawberry Face Mask
To make a paste, combine one potato and two strawberries in a blender. Mix in ½ teaspoon honey and apply to your face and neck. After 15-20 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water. Apply the face pack twice or thrice a week to address wrinkles and fine lines.
6) Potato and Turmeric Face Pack
Mix in ½ tsp turmeric with ½ grated potato. Make a paste and apply it to your face and neck. It should be left on for 15 minutes before being washed off with cold water. Apply it twice or thrice a week to reduce tan, open pores, and brighten the skin.
Side Effects of Potato Juice on Face
Participants in one early study on children exhibited unfavourable reactions to patatin, a binding protein present in potatoes. According to another study, raw potato sensitivities have also been linked to latex allergies in adults. Patatin was also connected to this. Carrots, tomatoes, apples, and bananas are all potential latex allergy triggers.
Raw potatoes should not be applied to the skin if you have a known latex allergy. Cooked potatoes might also cause allergic reactions.
If you have pollen allergies, you are more likely to develop a cooked potato allergy. Itchy, red skin hives are signs of a probable allergic reaction.
Some signs of possible side effects of potato juice may be:
- Itchy and red skin
- Runny nose
- Breathing issues
Summing Up on Potato Juice for Face
For a good reason, the potato is considered the king of vegetables. It tastes incredible and can transform any dish into a sensory overload. Now you know that in addition to being a savoury staple, it's also a powerful skincare ingredient.
It can be used for a variety of things, including fine wrinkles, acne, dark spots, and more.
Q. Can Potato Juice Be Left Overnight on the Face?
Yes, it is excellent for achieving radiant skin in a short period. To create a mask for the same, follow the given steps:
- Clean two potatoes and cook them for a few minutes.
- Remove the skins from all of the potatoes and mash them together.
- Take 2 tablespoons of boiled milk and combine it with the potato mash.
- Stir the mixture until it forms a smooth paste that can be applied to the skin.
- Now wash your face and apply the prepared paste to your skin, allowing it to dry.
- Once it has dried, wash it off with water and wipe your face.
This paste can be used on your hands, neck, and legs as well. It is similar to a cleansing milk, which removes tan from the skin. This paste can be used to eliminate dull skin, tan, and blackheads.
Q. Can We Use Potato Juice for Skin Whitening?
Yes, you can use potato juice for skin whitening.