Protein Powder Recipes
Protein is one of our body's building blocks, including bones, muscles, and skin. It is required to produce hormones, enzymes, and other chemicals. Protein powder for men helps the body cope with heavy workouts and get the desired results. The various types of protein powders available for consumption are:
- Plant Protein Powder: Pea, Rice, Hemp, etc.
- Vegan Protein Powder: Soy
- Dairy Protein Powder: Whey, Casein, Collagen, etc.
Protein Powder Benefits
- Promotes muscle growth and maintenance of muscle when coupled with strength training.
- Maintains blood sugar levels, especially when taken before or with high-carb meals.
- Increases energy expenditure more than any other macronutrient.
- Reduces inflammation by decreasing the blood levels of C-reactive protein.
- Treats inflammatory bowel disease.
- Strengthen the body's antioxidant defences by promoting the formation of glutathione
- Keeps blood pressure in check
How Does Protein Powder Work?
Athletes and fitness enthusiasts who work out regularly experience fatigue and torn muscles after intense workout sessions. Research has proved that muscles are composed of protein, they need more than an abundant quantity and easily digestible form after exercise.
Protein powder is the fastest among all other protein supplements, such as capsules, to get absorbed into the bloodstream and circulate in the whole body. Furthermore, it has the highest concentration of leucine, an amino acid needed to build muscles.
Protein powder is very satiating, which is why research constitutes it in weight-loss diets. Suppressing appetite leads to a reduced calorie intake. It also boosts metabolism that, in turn, helps to burn more calories, maintain muscle mass and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
How To Use Protein Powder For Weight Loss
Make protein shake at home and drink a few hours before working out, presumably mid-morning or afternoon, to increase metabolism. This will help in burning fat and calories faster when you work out. Protein powders also consist of ingredients like caffeine and fibre that can aid weight loss as well.
Which Protein Is Best For Weight Loss
Dairy-based protein powders are considered best for weight loss because they get more easily dissolved in blood than all plant protein powder.
How To Use Protein Powder for Weight Gain?
Protein powder has the ideal amount of carbohydrates and fats to ensure maximum muscle gain. It also has proteins in a fast-digesting form, leading to an increase in the body's insulin levels after consumption. This increases the fat concentration in your body. Hence, studies have supported that protein powder helps to gain healthy weight if consumed in the right amount. Consult your nutritionist or gym trainer before opting for a protein-based weight-gain regime.
Homemade Protein Recipes
Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Homemade Protein Smoothies
- 6 cubes of ice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop chocolate-flavored protein powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
Directions: Blend ice cubes, milk, banana, protein powder, peanut butter, honey, and cocoa powder together till they get adequately mixed.
Homemade Protein Powder Chocolate Ladoos
- Chocolate Protein Powder: 20 gms
- Whole Wheat Flour Atta: 20 gms
- Ghee: 1.5 gms
- Jaggery: 10 gms
- Coconut Powder to Sprinkle: 1.5 gms
- Take a pan and add one cup of water.
- Boil it, add jaggery and mix well till it turns into liquid.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add aata to it and mix well for 5 min till it turns golden brown. Add protein powder.
- Add the jaggery water and mix well till it turns into a thick consistency.
- Now take a small amount of mixture in your hand and give it a round shape.
- Then sprinkle some coconut powder on the ladoos.
- Keep them aside for a few hours. It will help the ladoos to set properly.
- You can store them in an airtight container.
Protein Chocolate Shake
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 300 ml unsweetened almond milk
- Extra ice for thickness
Directions: Blend ingredients until the shake reaches a creamy consistency.
Chocolate Protein Powder Bite
- 1 cup nut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
- 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
- 1 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- Cocoa powder or crushed nuts for topping
- Mix all ingredients.
- When thoroughly mixed, shape into balls.
- Roll balls and add the topping of your choice.
- Store in an airtight container.
Hot Chocolate Protein Powder Shake
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 250 ml hot water or almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cinnamon (for sprinkling)
- Add protein powder in hot water or almond milk as per your desire.
- Stir it, and then mix vanilla extract.
- Add a sweetener of your choice, if desired.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Robert W Morton, Kevin T Murphy. (2020) A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength in healthy adults (British Journal of Sports Medicine) https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/52/6/376
Kamonkiat Wirunsawanya, Sikarin Upala. (2017) Whey Protein Supplementation Improves Body Composition and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Overweight and Obese Patients: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis (Journal of American College of Nutrition) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2017.1344591
George A. Bray, Steven R. Smith. (2012) Effect of Dietary Protein Content on Weight Gain, Energy Expenditure, and Body Composition During Overeating (U.S. National Library of Medicine) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3777747/