Why does pubic hair grow?
Research suggests that men get a hairy penis when they hit puberty. It happens because at that age (around 13 - 14 years), your body changes due to increased reproductive hormone secretion. You might also notice facial hair, chest hair and hair on the shaft or penis head. Pubic hair serves certain benefits:
- The skin on your private parts is delicate. Hair reduces friction, thereby protecting your skin from bumps, burns, cuts and rashes, which might occur due to tight clothing, excessive walking or having sex.
- Pubic hair protects you from Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) and other infections by trapping bacteria and microorganisms.
Disadvantages of Ungroomed Pubic Hair
Pubic hair is completely natural, and studies tell us that removing or not removing it is a personal choice. However, there are certain disadvantages to ungroomed pubic hair:
- It traps sweat and dirt. So it might smell pungent or unfavourable down there. To avoid such a smell, you should clean your pubic hair regularly.
- A hairy penis appears unhygienic and unhealthy. Trimming the hair growing around your penis will protect it from unwanted infections, outbreaks, rashes and warts.
- Another great grooming technique to keep bacteria from accumulating near your private parts is using an intimate wash.
Pubic hair, sex and oral sex
The answer lies in your partner's preference. Some benefits of groomed private parts are:
- Pubic hair hides the penis' length, whereas a groomed private area will make your erection look bigger.
- Most women prefer hair-free or shaved penis because they find it easier to perform oral sex.
- Grooming increases the sensations in private parts during sexual activity.
- A groomed penis looks more attractive.
Also read: Hair removal for men
How to remove penis hair at home?
Research has suggested there are several ways to remove penis hair at home are:
Trimming for hair removal
You need scissors or an electrical trimmer/clipper to cut your pubic hair. You can also use the trimmer to achieve trendy men's pubic hairstyles. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Moisten your pubic hair with water.
- Use sharp and clean scissors to trim.
Hair grows back after a week.
Shaving for hair removal
Follow these steps to shave carefully:
- Wet the area and trim extra lengths of your public hair with scissors.
- Apply shaving foam and use a clean and sharp razor to shave.
- Shave around your penis in the direction of hair growth carefully to avoid cuts.
- Once done, use water to clean your private parts and apply unscented lotion or oil to prevent skin irritation.
You may notice hair within 2 or 3 days. Shaving increases the chances of ingrown hair on the penis.
Waxing for hair removal
The method of penis waxing is painful and risky. It can be done carefully at home following the steps given below:
- Take a bath to remove oil from your skin.
- Trim the extra hair lengths and dry your genitals using a cotton towel.
- Apply wax on the area and put the wax strip on it. You may also apply powder before applying wax to remove the hair quickly.
- Tighten your skin by using your hand and swiftly pull off the strip to remove hair.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to remove hair from the whole region.
Usually, hair grows back after every two weeks.
Epilator for hair removal
It removes hair from roots. Steps to use an epilator for pubic hair:
- Set the epilator at a 90-degree angle.
- Loosely move the device in the direction of hair growth.
This gives you smooth skin for up to 2 weeks.
Creams for hair removal
There are various penis hair removal creams such as Veet. Follow these steps on how men can use Veet:
- Test the cream on your hand or leg area to check for any sign of redness or irritation.
- Exfoliate your private parts and apply the cream
- Please wait for 2 to 4 minutes and remove it by using the provided spatula or moist cloth.
- Apply unscented oil or cream.
These creams may involve side effects such as chemical burns, allergic reactions or skin damage—patch test to check. Hair grows back after 3 to 4 days.
The question "How to remove hair from penis permanently at home" has no answer.
Professional Hair Removal Methods
It's an alternative to waxing. It is done by applying sugar and lemon-based paste on your private parts and pulling the hair in the same direction they grow. Hair may grow back after 2 to 3 weeks.
This method is costly and requires high maintenance. Dermatologists use a laser beam to remove hair roots. Hair may grow back after 7 to 9 months.
Also read: Why you need to start using an intimate wash
Shaving Vs Trimming Pubic hair - which one shall I choose?
Trimming doesn't risk ingrown hair in your private area, whereas shaving gives you ingrown hair.
Shaving involves a high risk of cuts, whereas trimming involves rare injury chances.
What are the disadvantages of shaving the penis head?
The penis head is sensitive. Shaving it might cause irritation and injury. It also increases the risk of infection.
Can men use Veet?
Yes, men can use Veet. You must use it cautiously on private parts as it may cause skin darkening or irritation.
Amy (2010) Why does hair grow on your penis? (Planned Parenthood) https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/teens/ask-experts/why-does-hair-grow-on-your-penis
Vanessa Luis (2015) 5 reasons why men should groom their privates (Health)
Tim Jewell (2019) Hairy Penis: Why It Happens and What You Can Do About It (Healthline) https://www.healthline.com/health/mens-health/hairy-penis#should-you-groom
Akash Prabhune, Deepti Nagrath (2019) Systematic Review of Prevalence, Attitude, Practices of Pubic Hair Removal (PHR) activities (Research Gate) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/336209500_Systematic_Review_of_Prevalence_Attitude_Practices_of_Pubic_Hair_Removal_PHR_activities
Ashraf Soliman, Vincenzo De Sanctis (2014) Advances in pubertal growth and factors influencing it: Can we increase pubertal growth? (U.S. National Library of Medicine) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4266869/