Some people have a high libido, while others have low levels of sexual desire. People of every gender and sexual orientation can masturbate. It is up to you whether you want to do it or not.
What Is Masturbation?
Before you know how to do it, you might have asked, what is masturbation? Simply put, masturbation involves stimulating your genitals yourself to achieve an orgasm.
It is up to you to choose whether to indulge in or abstain from masturbation for religious or personal reasons.
Is Masturbation Bad for Health?
Some sources may highlight the potential disadvantages of masturbation. Excessive masturbation is often associated with side effects. These include fatigue, lower back pain, hair loss, and decreased sexual stamina. But, it’s significant to note that the side effects of masturbation vary among individuals. What may be excessive for one person may not be the same for another. It is a must to approach the subject with a balanced view.
It’s necessary to maintain a healthy and balanced approach to sexual activities. If you’ve concerns about the impact of masturbation, consult a healthcare professional, and they will provide personalised advice and guidance.
Is Masturbation Harmful?
You may have heard a lot of good and bad things about masturbation. It might make you question - 'is masturbation harmful’?
There are too many misconceptions, such as it makes hair grow in weird places, makes you infertile or shrinks your genitals, or causes addiction. None of these is based on truth.
Masturbation is not harmful. In fact, it can help your mental and physical health. It is the safest form of sex you can have. You will not face the risk of making someone pregnant or contracting an STD.
Masturbation allows you to give yourself orgasms. This enables the release of feel-good hormones in your body, such as endorphins. These hormones block pain and make you feel better.
How much is too much?
Understanding the limits of excessive masturbation is vital to keep a healthy sexual routine. The question of how much to masturbate for men varies from person to person.
There is no specific frequency where it qualifies as "too much" masturbation. Individuals' age, health, and personal preferences determine what is appropriate. It's essential to be aware of and take care of your body and emotional well-being.
Maintain open communication with a healthcare professional. They provide guidance and support based on individual circumstances. If masturbation interferes with daily life, relationships, and work or causes physical discomfort, it may indicate excessive behaviour.
Side Effects of Masturbation in Male Daily
There is no harm in masturbating. At the most, you might experience chafing or tender skin. But such things heal in a few days. Nonetheless, you might still be concerned about the side effects of masturbation in male daily. The other potential side effects include:
1. Disrupting Daily Life
In some cases, men may find themselves needing to masturbate often. When they masturbate more than necessary, it may result in:
- Missing work, school, or other events
- Disrupting their daily functioning
- Affecting their other relationships and responsibilities
- Serving as an escape from life issues, such as relationships, family, or work problems.
If you feel your life is being disrupted by a constant need for masturbation, consider talking to a healthcare professional. A doctor or therapist will help you manage your sexual behaviour and provide you with coping mechanisms.
Many people are often told masturbation is wrong according to religion or culture. When they masturbate, they might feel guilty. However, you must realise there is nothing immoral or wrong about masturbation. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with self-pleasure, so masturbation need not be a shameful act.
If you feel guilty or uncomfortable, it is best to discuss it with a friend, therapist, or healthcare professional specialising in sexual health. The professionals are trained to help you navigate your emotions of guilt or shame connected to masturbation.
3. Social Shyness
Masturbation addiction can disrupt your daily life and functioning. Many men struggle in social situations and other gatherings when they have a masturbation addiction. They will prefer to stay at home and will avoid going out.
Men with this addiction will do anything to spend time alone in their rooms. They will provide all kinds of excuses to avoid going outside or meeting other people. They might also feel scared about mishaps such as getting aroused in public.
4. Low Self-Esteem
Masturbating becomes a kind of escape for those suffering from anxiety, depression or other mental issues. This becomes an outlet for them to cope with their trauma. These individuals often face a loss of self-esteem and confidence. They find it hard to be in the company of others and are often nervous.
Masturbating helps them feel more relaxed in the present. But, it results in creating a negative self-perception.
5. Unfocused Mindset
Men who become addicted to masturbating more than once a day tend to lose focus. They will try their best to get out of work or studies. They lack the focus required to complete their responsibilities. This can negatively impact them in the long run as it will take a toll on other aspects of the study, work and general life.
6. Decreased Sexual Sensitivity
Excessive masturbation or aggressive techniques may result in reduced sexual sensitivity. A tight grip on the penis may cause you to feel reduced sensations in the long run. However, this can be resolved by changing your masturbation techniques.
You can choose to use sex toys to enhance arousal and your pleasure. Men can use vibrators too. It can help to improve erectile function.
7. Prostate Cancer
There is no definitive proof if masturbation increases or decreases the chances of prostate cancer. A 2003 study proved that men who ejaculated 5-plus times a week during their 20s were 1/3rd less likely to develop aggressive prostate cancer than those who ejaculated less often.
A 2016 study found a similar connection between frequent ejaculation and a reduced risk of prostate cancer. Conversely, a 2008 study discovered that too much sexual activity or masturbation in a man's 20s and 30s might increase his risk of prostate cancer.
Researchers believe that the reduced risk was due to the prevention of a build-up of cancer-causing agents in the prostate gland. More research is required on this aspect.
8. Swollen Genitals
Some men masturbate too frequently, which results in a swelling of the penis. This is called Edema. This condition occurs due to constant irritation. Edema is a disease characterised by swelling in the body due to the retention of fluid in the tissues. This condition arises when you put too much pressure on certain body parts.
9. Low Sperm Count
Masturbating can be a healthy practice. However, it is only good if you do not do it in excess. No matter how good a thing is, we must still do it in moderation. When men masturbate excessively, it might negatively impact their ability to build testosterone in the body. This may result in a low sperm count. For those looking to have a family, this can be detrimental.
10. Dhat Syndrome
Dhat syndrome is a condition faced by men in South Asia. In this syndrome, men may experience premature ejaculation or pass semen while urinating. As per 2015 research by the International Journal of Medical Research & Health Sciences, “Dhat syndrome can be a possible side effect of masturbation. This syndrome can later become the main cause for erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation in men.”
11. Nightfall Problem
Other potential side effects of masturbation include nightfall problems. This refers to men ejaculating in their sleep or having wet dreams. Men who indulge in excessive sexual activities or masturbation often face nightfall problems.
12. Rash and Redness
Sometimes men may get rashes or redness if they pull on the penis too hard during the climax. Holding the genitals roughly might lead to a need for medical assistance. These rashes often happen due to dry skin or skin infections. These infections often result from using dirty hands or low-quality lubricants. You might also have a skin infection that requires care.
13. Causes Lower Back Pain
One of the unfortunate downsides to frequent masturbation is back pain. The reason for this pain is the constant need to change positions for self-pleasure. Excessive masturbation can lead to mild or severe pain in the lower back. If done without moderation, it can even damage the spinal cord in the long term.
14. Change in Vision
One of the least common yet worst side effects of masturbation is blurry vision. Some men may experience a change in their vision if they masturbate daily. It is important to pay attention to this so that you don't suffer from poor vision in the future.
15. Penile Injuries
While masturbating isn't bad by itself, it is important to be careful. Accidents can happen, and daily masturbation may result in penile injuries. This is because you use only one hand to pleasure yourself continually. Using your hand or rubbing your genitals can be rough and cause injuries and wounds. Often, men end up getting cuts on their penile chambers because of masturbation.
How to Stop Masturbation Addiction?
Addressing and overcoming a masturbation addiction requires a personalised approach, which calls for commitment to self-care. Here are some strategies that can help overcome the addiction.
- Self-awareness: Recognise and acknowledge the addiction, understanding its impact on your life and well-being.
- Set goals: Define clear goals for reducing or eliminating masturbation. Keep in mind that progress may take time.
- Identify triggers: Identify situations, emotions, or thoughts that trigger the urge to masturbate. Develop strategies to cope with them.
- Seek support: Reach a trusted friend, family member, or therapist. You can seek help and guidance in your journey to overcome masturbation addiction.
- Engage in healthy activities: Engaging in activities that enhance physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Opt for exercise, hobbies, and socialising.
- Practice self-care: To take care of yourself, it's essential to get enough sleep, maintain a balanced diet, and practice relaxation techniques like meditation or deep breathing exercises.
- Create a routine: Establish a structured daily routine incorporating productive and fulfilling activities, and it will reduce idle time and cut opportunities for masturbation.
- Stay responsible: Track your progress and hold yourself for your actions. Consider using a journal or a support group to help observe your journey.
- Avoid triggers: Limit or drop exposure to pornography, explicit content, or other stimuli that may trigger the urge to masturbate.
- Practice self-discipline: Develop willpower and discipline to resist temptation, reminding yourself of the negative consequences associated with excessive masturbation.
Remember, breaking free from masturbation addiction is a process, and it requires patience, self-compassion, and determination.
Myths of Masturbation
People generally do not have enough knowledge regarding sexual health and healthy sexual practices. Many myths are floating around that are not based on logic or truth. Men often wonder, 'is masturbation harmful?' Read on to debunk some of those myths:
1. Damage to Genitals
Of course, doing anything in excess is not good for you. However, if you are masturbating in moderation and if you are mindful of how you are doing it, nothing can go wrong. Masturbating too much doesn't cause penile injuries. It is only when you are careless or rough that injuries become possible. It is absolutely fine to masturbate regularly as long as you are taking care of yourself.
2. Results in Hair Growth in Unwanted Areas
This is not logically possible and is a myth without reasoning. No matter how many times you masturbate, it is just not possible for hair to grow on unwanted areas of the body.
3. Masturbation Causes Mental Issues
Having a good schedule for masturbating can actually help you feel more relaxed. Masturbating helps to release feel-good hormones like endorphins and dopamine in your body, making you feel happy. As long as you don't develop an addiction, there is no negative mental effect of masturbating.
You need not feel guilt or shame either, as self-pleasure is good for you. While it is often difficult to overcome religious or cultural beliefs, you must remember that there are many health benefits to masturbating. Ensure you do not masturbate excessively as that might lead to physical or mental issues.
4. Wrong to Masturbate While in a Relationship
Many people feel like they are cheating or being unfaithful if they masturbate while in a relationship. However, there is nothing immoral about it. Be open about it with your partner and communicate your needs. It is merely the simple act of self-pleasure. If it helps you feel better and you are not cheating on your partner, there is nothing wrong with it.
5. Other Myths
There are other myths surrounding masturbation, including blindness, impotence, erectile dysfunction, penis shrinkage or curvature, infertility, physical weakness, and low sperm count. However, these are all false. There are no major disadvantages of masturbation.
Advantages of Masturbation
Masturbation happens to be an incredibly healthy sexual activity. There are quite a few advantages of masturbation for your physical and mental health:
- Relieves stress and contributes to relaxation
- Better sleep
- Improved mood
- Feeling pleasure and release of sexual tension
- Improved sexual performance
- A better understanding of yourself and your needs
There is nothing wrong with learning how to masturbate for men. It may also be beneficial and pleasurable to mutually masturbate with your partner to explore varied desires.
5 Ways to Overcome Masturbation Addiction
Masturbation addiction is a compulsive need to masturbate. It may not be a diagnosable mental health condition, but it does impact your daily functioning. Some men tend to become addicted to masturbation. It is important to shake off this habit with the help of a therapist or healthcare professional.
Here are 5 effective ways by which you can work on overcoming a masturbation addiction:
1. Acknowledge the Problem
First, acknowledge that you have a problem. It helps to come to terms with the constant need for physical touch. Having some amount of sexual desire is completely normal. However, one must be able to control the desire. Masturbating is a natural sexual activity, but it is important to get the help you need to overcome it when it starts creating health problems. If you experience pain, unusual smells, or bloody urine or semen, it is time to consult a healthcare specialist.
2. Talk to a Therapist
There are plenty of therapists who deal with sex-related issues. You can openly talk about the problems you face in your sex life, and they will be able to offer you tools to manage your addiction. A therapist will be able to help you change your behavior.
3. Avoid Spending Time Alone
The more you spend time by yourself, the more you will masturbate. Try to engage yourself in other activities and hobbies. These will help distract you. Keep away from sexual content that might arouse you. Instead, find tools and ways to help you focus on being productive.
Doing yoga is a great way of building a mind-body connection and can help you reduce the desire to masturbate. Yoga can help relax your mind and reduce any stress you may be feeling. Try to establish a regular yoga practice to calm your mind.
5. Makes Changes to Your Schedule
Changing your schedule can help you. If you change your routine, you will be more focused on that. A doctor or therapist can help you change your schedule. Soon, you will be able to change your behaviour and get rid of the addiction. Also, ensure you sleep on time. The longer you are up, the more your mind can wander. To avoid getting aroused repeatedly, sleep on time.
Curing Masturbation Side Effects with Food
- Nutrient-rich diet: Include a proportional diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, with healthy fats. These foods deliver vital vitamins and minerals that support overall health, including sexual well-being.
- Zinc-rich foods: Include foods high in zinc as oysters, pumpkin seeds, spinach, and dark chocolate. Zinc plays an essential role in sustaining healthy upkeep of testosterone levels and promoting sexual health.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Consume foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids like fatty fish (salmon, mackerel), flaxseeds, chia seeds, and walnuts. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation, boost circulation, and support a healthy reproductive system.
- Herbal remedies: Certain herbs, such as ashwagandha, ginseng, and ginkgo biloba, have been traditionally used to support sexual health. Consult a healthcare professional or herbalist for guidance on incorporating these herbs into your diet.
- Keep Drinking Water: Drinking adequate water is essential for maintaining proper bodily functions and supporting sexual health.
It is important to note that while certain foods may have potential benefits, no magic food or specific diet can cure the side effects of masturbation. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet, regular exercise, adequate sleep, and stress management, is crucial for overall well-being and sexual health.
Curing Masturbation Side Effects with Exercise
Regular physical exercise is known to have various positive effects on health, including sexual well-being. Engaging in activity can help reduce the side effects of masturbation and promote a healthier lifestyle. Here are some ways exercise can aid in overcoming these side effects:
- Cardiovascular exercises: Incorporate brisk walking, jogging, cycling, or swimming into your routine. These activities help improve blood circulation, boost energy levels, and enhance stamina.
- Strength training: Include weightlifting, push-ups, squats, or resistance band workouts. Building strength improves physical fitness and also contributes to increased endurance and vitality.
- Yoga and stretching: Practise yoga or engage in stretching exercises. Yoga poses and stretches help relax the mind and body. It relieves strain and tension and enhances flexibility and balance.
- Pelvic floor exercises: Kegel exercises, also called pelvic floor exercises, can help improve muscle strength in the pelvic area. These exercises can enhance sexual function and help overcome premature ejaculation or erectile dysfunction.
- Mind-body exercises: Discover tai chi's or qigong's benefits, emphasizing the link between the mind and body. These practices can promote relaxation, reduce stress, and improve well-being.
Start with exercises suitable for your fitness level. Gradually increase their intensity and duration. You have to listen to your body. Consult a healthcare professional or fitness expert for underlying health conditions or concerns.
Enjoy your physical and mental health benefits. Stay committed to your exercise regimen. Incorporating regular exercise into your routine, a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle can improve your sexual health.
Summing Up on Side Effects of Masturbation in Males Daily
As you can see, the side effects of masturbation in males daily only appear when masturbation is done in excess. In moderation, it can be good for you and your health. Masturbation provides tons of health benefits if done in moderation.
As long as you feel good, there is nothing wrong with masturbating daily. When you start experiencing negative emotions attached to it, you need to seek help. Otherwise, feel free to masturbate daily. You need not worry about any side effects!
Masturbation is an incredibly pleasurable act. Read on if you wish to learn more on how to masturbate for men or simply clear some doubts you might have. We have compiled a few FAQs related to masturbation:
How Many Times in a Week Is Masturbation Considered Normal for a Man?
It varies from person to person. A sexual drive is natural. You can masturbate once a week or 5 times a week. It is completely up to you. If you feel you are doing it too much or too often, try to divert your energy into other activities or hobbies such as reading, painting, dancing, etc. It is important to build balance in all aspects of your life.
Can Masturbation Replace Having Sex With a Partner for Men?
Masturbation and sex are different things. If you don’t wish to have sex, masturbation is enough. If masturbation hinders your sex life, then you might want to stop doing it. However, whatever the situation is, you can choose to masturbate. Whether you are having sex or not, there are various advantages of masturbation, as described above.
Can Masturbation Cause Premature Ejaculation?
No, masturbation in general or moderation can NOT cause premature ejaculation. If you are practising safely and not doing it in excess, there is no way masturbation can cause premature ejaculation. Premature ejaculation is only possible if excessive masturbation damages your nerves. In such a case, you should consider consulting a healthcare professional.
- RN Sahu, VK Sharma, Ashutosh Kumar, Chintan Bavishi, January 2015;Dhat syndrome and its association with sexual behavior and pyschiatric comorbidities in males: a case control study - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282904196_Dhat_syndrome_and_its_association_with_sexual_behavior_and_pyschiatric_comorbidities_in_males_a_case_control_study
- Artitaya Lophatananon,Douglas Easton,Richard Pocock,David P. Dearnaley,Michelle Guy,Steven Edwards,Lynne O’Brien,Amanda Hall,Rosemary Wilkinson, December 2008; Sexual activity and prostate cancer risk in men diagnosed at a younger age - https://bjui-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2008.08030.x
- Jennifer R Rider, Kathryn M Wilson, Jennifer A Sinnot, Rachel S Kelly, Lorelei A Mucci, Edward L Giovannucci, December 2016; Ejaculation Frequency and Risk of Prostate Cancer: Updated Results with an Additional Decade of Follow-up - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27033442/
- G.G. Giles,G. Severi,D.R. English,M.R.E. McCredie,R. Borland,P. Boyle,J.L. Hopper, July 2003;Sexual factors and prostate cancer - https://bjui-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1046/j.1464-410X.2003.04319.x