How to Increase Immunity Naturally
Decoding the immune system
Every time our body is attacked by a virus our immune system fights it to protect us from falling sick. Over a period of time, certain factors like stress, lack of sleep and a poor diet might leave our immune system weak. A weak immune system increases the risk of catching several illnesses. While our immune system can sometimes leave us disappointed, there are obvious ways to strengthen it. From simple old-time home remedies to yoga poses; there are at least a 100 ways to boost your immunity. Let’s take a glance at what might work to build our immune system.
1. A healthy diet: The old adage, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” may have some truth behind it. Remember how our mothers asked us to eat healthy food all our lives? Somewhere along the way, Chinese takeaway and ready-to-eat frozen meals replaced our healthy meals and our immune system took a back seat. Now is the time to get back on track. Make sure you eat food that is rich in vitamins and minerals.
Here is a list of foods to boost immunity:
- Eat citrus fruits to boost the production of white blood cells in your body
- Eat your greens
- Eat food rich in Omega 3 – salmon, flax seeds, spinach, walnuts, soybeans
2. Switch to superfoods for a better immune system: Let’s dive deep into our memory and try to recall those innumerable occasions when we refused to have “Haldi milk”. It’s time to go back to our grandma’s kitchen. Turmeric, commonly referred to as Haldi in most Indian households is a superfood that can do wonders for immunity. While Haldi doodh was the traditional immunity booster there are a couple of turmeric-based immunity building drinks available in the market.
Here’s a simple DIY turmeric shot recipe to boost your immunity: Mix 1 Tbsp of Haldi, lemon juice and honey in warm water. Lemon juice is a rich source of Vitamin C which is also known to strengthen immunity. Have this concoction daily before breakfast and your body will be prepared for the battle against pathogens.
3. Abstain from alcohol and tobacco: Excessive drinking and smoking can reduce the number of white blood cells in our body. These cells act as the first line of defence against any bacteria or virus that attacks our body. In the absence of these cells, our body would succumb to minor infections. In order to strengthen our immune system, it is best to avoid alcohol in the long run. If you’re a social drinker then it is advisable to have only 2-3 drinks a month. Having a control over the amount of alcohol consumed will make sure that your immunity is unharmed.
4. Lead an active life: Sedentary lifestyle is easily the most common reason for low immunity. Take out at least one hour every day to practice some form of exercise. This will not only help you get rid of the toxins from your body but also help you destress and uplift your mood.
Here’s a yoga asana to help you feel better and boost your immunity system: Legs Up the Wall (Viparita Karani): For optimal immunity, it is imperative for our nervous system to function properly. This is a really simple asana that can help you destress and improve blood circulation in the body. This will release pressure from your back .
It is never too late to take the matter into your hands. Religiously following the above-mentioned steps will definitely help you boost your immunity in the long run.