Are you wondering what is semen retention and why many theories in India are built around this practice? Looking to try out nofap because it’s vogue but scared of the potential risks? Want to understand how to hold sperms for a long time? We’ve got you covered.
What is Semen Retention?
Semen retention means abstinence from ejaculation. It is the practice of intentionally not ejaculating or avoiding ejaculation. To do this, an individual needs to learn how to have an orgasm without ejaculating or abstain from sexual activity entirely.
Now you might think that this is a somewhat new practice with the nofap timeline doing the rounds on social media, but that’s not the case. Semen or sperm retention goes way back in history and Ayurveda, and supposedly it enhances physical, spiritual, and emotional energy in men.
Seminal conservation, coitus reservatus, and sexual continence are some of the other names of semen retention.
Wondering if you should practice semen retention and what happens if you hold in your semen for a long time? Keep reading as we cover sperm retention benefits, sperm retention science, and nofap powers.
Is Semen Retention Also Included In Different Practices?
Yes. Here are a few practices in which semen retention is a part of the bigger idea of life-
- Maithuna-Hindu Tantric
- Sahaja- Hindu Yoga
- Cai yin pu Yang and Cai yin pu yin - Chinese Taoist
- Tantra-Hinduism and Buddhism
Semen Retention Vs Nofap
Although these two get used in the same context, they’re different.
Nofap came from the ‘Fap’, which in the millennial lingo means the sound of masturbation. Nofap is also the name of an organization that started with the sole purpose of providing support and information to individuals looking to recover from overpowering sexual behaviour.
They also assist people looking to improve their relationships. In that sense, the focus of nofap is on finishing the dependency on porn and not just semen retention.
How is Semen Retention Done?
To practice semen retention, you can either clearly abstain from sex or learn the technique to have an orgasm without ejaculating.
As it requires a lot of muscle growth, consider doing kegel exercises every day.
Benefits of Semen Retention
The benefits of not ejaculating are threefold. Here are the semen retention benefits that some individuals vouch for and preach.
1. Mental Benefits of Sperm Retention
Some of the vital mental benefits of sperm retention include:
- Controlled anxiety is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- Increased confidence is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- More self-control is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- Enhanced memory is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- Improved concentration and focus is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- More energy is a mental benefit of sperm retention
2. Spiritual Benefits of Sperm Retention
Some of the spiritual benefits of conserving seminal fluid include:
- Increased happiness is a spiritual benefit of sperm retention
- Deeper relationships is a spiritual benefit of sperm retention
- A greater sense of purpose is a spiritual benefit of sperm retention
- A sense of harmony spiritually is a spiritual benefit of sperm retention
3. Physical Benefits of Sperm Retention
Some of the physical benefits and power of sperm retention include:
- Glowing skin is a physical benefit of sperm retention
- Increased testosterone is a physical benefit of sperm retention
- More muscle mass is a physical benefit of sperm retention
- Enhanced sperm quality is a physical benefit of sperm retention
- Deeper voice is a physical benefit of sperm retention
Apart from the benefits mentioned above, here are a few more potential sperm retention benefits.
4. Semen Retention May Increase the Intensity of Orgasm
Many people believe that abstaining from ejaculation for a significant period allows you to experience orgasm with more intensity.
5. Semen Retention Helps With Premature Ejaculation
Also read: How to cure premature ejaculation?
6. Semen Retention May Increase Fertility in Men
While some individuals believe that sperm retention may increase fertility in men, there’s not enough research to prove it. However, a study conducted in 2015 concluded that ejaculating daily doesn’t have any negative implications on the sperm quality of men.
Ideal Time To Practice Semen Retention
There is no ideal duration for practicing semen retention. It depends upon person to person. Before you start practicing semen retention or nofap, consider your reasons.
Do not, at any cost, indulge in this practice for the wrong reasons. If it works for you, keep going. However, if it doesn’t, stop right then. Consult a professional in case of emergencies.
Are There Any Potential Risks Related to Semen Retention?
For all those wondering, ‘Is seminal retention harmful’? As of now, there isn’t any evidence to prove that semen retention is risky. However, it may cause Epididymal hypertension or other ejaculation-related problems.
Also Read: What happens if you release sperm everyday?
If you feel it’s benefiting your health, continue by all means. But if you’re feeling any form of uneasiness, pain, or ejaculation issues related to the activity, it’s best to give it up.
When it comes to how frequently one must ejaculate, there are no set rules. At the same time, men can choose to abstain from ejaculating for as long as they wish to do.
Scientifically there has been little evidence proving the potential benefits or health risks of semen retention. That is why individuals should figure out what works best for their bodies.
1. Does sperm retention increase testosterone?
There have been several studies conducted on it. The National Library of Medicine study proves that sperm retention increases testosterone.
2. Can guys feel when sperm is coming out?
Yes, guys can feel when sperm is coming out. However, with pre-cum, guys cannot always tell.
3. Can guys control how fast they come?
Many men struggle to control how fast they come and suffer from premature ejaculation. However, there are various techniques to manage the same.
- Bashir M Ayad, Gerhard Van der Horst, and Stefan S Du Plessis; Revisiting The Relationship between The Ejaculatory Abstinence Period and Semen Characteristics - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5641453/
- Sushrut Jadhav, December 2007; Dhis and Dhāt: Evidence of Semen Retention Syndrome Amongst White Britons- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232954759_Dhis_and_Dhat_Evidence_of_Semen_Retention_Syndrome_Amongst_White_Britons
- Harvard Health, December 2018; Retrograde Ejaculation- https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/retrograde-ejaculation-a-to-z