Are you wondering what is semen retention and why many theories in India are built around this practice? Looking to try out nofap because it’s vogue but scared of the potential risks? Want to understand how to hold sperms for a long time? We’ve got you covered.
Semen Retention Meaning?
Semen retention means abstinence from ejaculation. It is the practice of intentionally not ejaculating or avoiding ejaculation. To do this, an individual needs to learn how to have an orgasm without ejaculating or abstain from sexual activity entirely.
Now you might think that this is a somewhat new practice with the nofap timeline doing the rounds on social media, but that’s not the case. Semen or sperm retention goes way back in history and Ayurveda, and supposedly it enhances physical, spiritual, and emotional energy in men.
Seminal conservation, coitus reservatus, and sexual continence are some of the other names of semen retention.
Wondering if you should practice semen retention and what happens if you hold in your semen for a long time? Keep reading as we cover sperm retention benefits, sperm retention science, and nofap powers.
How Did This Idea Come About?
Most people think that semen retention is a concept of the modern-day. However, it's not true! It is an ancient concept that people have been following for ages. Back in time, people believed that men became weak if they ejaculated multiple times a day before time. Not just that, but they also thought that retaining sperm could improve health, enhance fertility and spike up sexual pleasure.
Besides good health and fertility, spiritual growth and mental peace are also associated with the power of semen retention. In addition, some people also thought of it as a way of self-control.
Whatever be the reason, semen retention is an age-old technique that has found more popularity in recent times.
Is Semen Retention Also Included In Different Practices?
Yes. Here are a few practices in which semen retention is a part of the bigger idea of life-
- Maithuna-Hindu Tantric
- Sahaja- Hindu Yoga
- Cai yin pu Yang and Cai yin pu yin - Chinese Taoist
- Tantra-Hinduism and Buddhism
Semen Retention Vs Nofap
Although these two get used in the same context, they’re different.
Nofap came from the ‘Fap’, which in the millennial lingo means the sound of masturbation. Nofap is also the name of an organization that started with the sole purpose of providing support and information to individuals looking to recover from overpowering sexual behaviour.
They also assist people looking to improve their relationships. In that sense, the focus of nofap is on finishing the dependency on porn and not just semen retention.
What Happens if You Block Sperm from Coming Out?
Have you ever wondered what happens if you block sperm from coming out during sex? Well, many people do it to delay orgasm during sex and increase the time of intimacy. This process is also known as edging.
Semen retention science shows that one can achieve a more pleasurable time during sex if they practice edging. It is practised by many men to overcome the problem of premature ejaculation while having sex.
Semen retention is also followed by those who practice tantric sex. The people involved in tantric sex focus on the bonding between the two partners more than the orgasm. Some people also enjoy orgasm without ejaculating, as in Karezza (affectionate intercourse where the partners value each other’s emotions more). Instead, it involves achieving orgasmic pleasure with the help of meditation and yoga. This, too, involves semen retention.
How is Semen Retention Done?
To practice semen retention, you can either clearly abstain from sex or learn the technique to have an orgasm without ejaculating.
As it requires a lot of muscle growth, consider doing kegel exercises every day.
Semen Retention Benefits
The benefits of not ejaculating are threefold. Here are the semen retention benefits that some individuals vouch for and preach.
1. Mental Benefits of Sperm Retention
Some of the vital mental benefits of sperm retention include:
- Controlled anxiety is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- Increased confidence is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- More self-control is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- Enhanced memory is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- Improved concentration and focus is a mental benefit of sperm retention
- More energy is a mental benefit of sperm retention
2. Spiritual Benefits of Sperm Retention
Some of the spiritual benefits of conserving seminal fluid include:
- Increased happiness is a spiritual benefit of sperm retention
- Deeper relationships is a spiritual benefit of sperm retention
- A greater sense of purpose is a spiritual benefit of sperm retention
- A sense of harmony spiritually is a spiritual benefit of sperm retention
3. Physical Benefits of Sperm Retention
Some of the physical benefits and power of sperm retention include:
- Glowing skin is a physical benefit of sperm retention
- Increased testosterone is a physical benefit of sperm retention
- More muscle mass is a physical benefit of sperm retention
- Enhanced sperm quality is a physical benefit of sperm retention
- Deeper voice is a physical benefit of sperm retention
Apart from the benefits mentioned above, here are a few more potential sperm retention benefits.
4. Semen Retention May Increase the Intensity of Orgasm
Many people believe that abstaining from ejaculation for a significant period allows you to experience orgasm with more intensity.
5. Semen Retention Helps With Premature Ejaculation
Also read: How to cure premature ejaculation?
6. Semen Retention May Increase Fertility in Men
While some individuals believe that sperm retention may increase fertility in men, there’s not enough research to prove it. However, a study conducted in 2015 concluded that ejaculating daily doesn’t have any negative implications on the sperm quality of men.
Power of Semen Retention
Now that you know the significant semen retention benefits, it's time to introduce you to the power of semen retention associated with mental, physical, and spiritual health. Have a look!
Power on Mental Health:
- It makes one feel more confident
- It gives you a sharper memory
- Increases your concentration and determination
- It helps you stay away from depression and anxiety
- Teaches you the art of self-control
- Keeps you motivated
Power on Physical Health:
- Enhances muscle growth in the body
- Improves the voice and hair texture
- Improves your vitality
- Promotes good sperm health
Power on Spiritual Growth:
- It keeps you happier than before
- It helps you connect on a deeper level with your partner
- Semen retention spiritual growth helps in improving your life force
Benefits of Ejaculating
So far, we have told you a lot of benefits of semen retention but now let's give you a glimpse of the benefits of ejaculating:
- Experts say that daily ejaculation can help you give way to new semen by getting rid of the old stock.
- It also improves mood and helps in releasing stress by producing good hormones like oxytocin and dopamine.
- Ejaculation is also essential for conceiving a child.
- In addition, some studies show that ejaculation helps prevent prostate cancer.
Is There Any Research to Support the Practice of Semen Retention?
Even though there are not many studies revolving around semen retention, some studies are there to back up the claims. For example, a study conducted in 2018 shows that an abstinence period of less than one day is great for enhancing sperm motility. Another study conducted on animals in 2007 shows that androgen receptors in the brain decrease with frequent ejaculation, and these receptors are responsible for producing testosterone in the body.
One more study in 2003 shows that the testosterone level increases if one follows abstinence for a week. Similarly, another study in 2001 suggests that the testosterone level improves if one does not ejaculate for three weeks straight. Finally, one more study in 2000 shows that an athlete's performance can be affected if they ejaculate two hours before the game.
Ideal Time To Practice Semen Retention
There is no ideal duration for practicing semen retention. It depends upon person to person. Before you start practicing semen retention or nofap, consider your reasons.
Do not, at any cost, indulge in this practice for the wrong reasons. If it works for you, keep going. However, if it doesn’t, stop right then. Consult a professional in case of emergencies.
When to Stop Practicing Semen Retention?
Semen retention should be practised only till the time you can control it. If you see that you cannot ejaculate even if you want to or there is a physical pain associated with ejaculation, you should stop immediately. This might affect your sex life and must not be carried on further.
If you see hazardous semen retention side effects like bleeding, you should consult a doctor immediately.
Semen Retention Side Effects?
For all those wondering, ‘Is seminal retention harmful’? As of now, there isn’t any evidence to prove that semen retention is risky. However, it may cause Epididymal hypertension or other ejaculation-related problems.
Also Read: What happens if you release sperm everyday?
If you feel it’s benefiting your health, continue by all means. But if you’re feeling any form of uneasiness, pain, or ejaculation issues related to the activity, it’s best to give it up.
When it comes to how frequently one must ejaculate, there are no set rules. At the same time, men can choose to abstain from ejaculating for as long as they wish to do.
Scientifically there has been little evidence proving the potential benefits or health risks of semen retention. That is why individuals should figure out what works best for their bodies.
1. Does sperm retention increase testosterone?
There have been several studies conducted on it. The National Library of Medicine study proves that sperm retention increases testosterone.
2. Can guys feel when sperm is coming out?
Yes, guys can feel when sperm is coming out. However, with pre-cum, guys cannot always tell.
3. Can guys control how fast they come?
Many men struggle to control how fast they come and suffer from premature ejaculation. However, there are various techniques to manage the same.
4. Is It Healthy to Retain Sperm?
There are not enough studies to concretely prove that semen retention is healthy. However, it is said to have a lot of benefits that we have mentioned in the blog. Considering those, we think it is pretty healthy!
5. What Happens if You Hold Your Sperm for Too Long?
If you practice semen retention for too long, your body will break down the chemical constituents of the semen and gradually reabsorb them. The body might release the trapped semen in the form of wet dreams at night.
6. Does Releasing Sperm Make You Weaker?
In ancient times, the importance of semen retention was derived from the fact that frequent ejaculation makes the body weaker. Hence, no, semen retention will not make you weaker. Instead, it can help you become stronger physically, mentally, and spiritually.
- Bashir M Ayad, Gerhard Van der Horst, and Stefan S Du Plessis; Revisiting The Relationship between The Ejaculatory Abstinence Period and Semen Characteristics - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5641453/
- Sushrut Jadhav, December 2007; Dhis and Dhāt: Evidence of Semen Retention Syndrome Amongst White Britons- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232954759_Dhis_and_Dhat_Evidence_of_Semen_Retention_Syndrome_Amongst_White_Britons
- Harvard Health, December 2018; Retrograde Ejaculation- https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/retrograde-ejaculation-a-to-z