Yoga For Erectile Dysfunction
Yes, Yoga does work for treating erectile dysfunction. Wondering how? Read on to find out research backed information on yoga for erectile dysfunction and sexual health.
Also known as the ‘seated forward bend’, this yoga for ED asana helps enhance endurance by strengthening the peroneal muscles. These muscles are known to maintain erectile rigidity.
That is why Paschimottanasana is an effective way to beat erectile dysfunction, as it helps delay ejaculation by contracting the peroneal muscles. In addition, it also relieves stress and stimulates the reproductive organs.
How To Perform
- Sit down straight on the floor and keep your legs straight while stretching them.
- Breathe in and stretch both your arms upwards.
- Breathe out and bend your body towards the toes.
- Ensure that your spine stays erect.
- Use your index finger and thumb to hold the big toe of your feet.
- Once you do that, bend forward so that your forehead touches the knees.
- Hold on for 10-20 seconds.
- Slowly and gently come back to the original position.
Best time to perform: Morning
By doing this asana regularly, you get to engage your glutes and quads. These muscles’ health is proven to help stay longer in the missionary position. Also known as ‘raised leg pose’, this yoga for ED cure stretches your psoas.
These are muscles located on either side of the vertebral column in the lumbar region of the male body. An intense exercise, the Uttanpadasana widens your hip flexor muscles. These muscles aid you in bending the knees.
Due to these benefits, this asana enhances blood flow and energy to the pelvic region. As a result, it helps beat erectile dysfunction.
How To Perform
- Lay flat on your back on the floor.
- Keep your hands aligned on the sides and put your feet together.
- Now breathe in and lift your legs to make a 30-degree angle.
- Slowly and gently, move your head off the ground as you do the above step.
- Try to maintain this position for a few breaths.
- Now move your legs back on the floor to the normal pose.
- Breathe in and raise your legs to a 60-degree angle this time.
- Like before, maintain this position for some time.
- Now, lower your legs and go back to the normal position.
Best time to perform: Morning and evening
This asana of yoga for erectile dysfunction helps improve stamina and endurance. It is also known as the plank pose. If practised regularly, Kumbhakasana can provide you with more power to perform better in sexual intercourse. As it helps strengthen your upper body, the plank pose can help beat erectile dysfunction.
How To Perform
- Lay flat on the floor with your stomach touching the surface.
- Keep your hands by the side of your face.
- Now bend your feet in a way that the toes push off the ground.
- Using your hands, push your body upwards and raise your buttocks.
- Keep the legs parallel with the floor.
- Try to stay in this position for as long as you can.
- Slowly and steadily come back to the original position.
Best time to perform: Any time of the day
Other Asanas and Mudras For Sexual Health of Men
In addition to the asanas mentioned above, here are a few more asanas and mudras of yoga for sexual health men can perform:
- Janu Sirsasana
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Baddha Konasana
What Do Research Studies Say About Yoga For Erectile Dysfunction?
- As per a study published by Journey Sex & Martilla Therapy, yoga helps reduce body mass index, blood pressure, and heart rate. As both excessive weight and high blood pressure have been linked with erectile dysfunction, the pros mentioned above could reduce the incidence of ED in a man.
Moreover, the study also suggests that yoga poses like Paschimottasana and Uttanpadasana help increase blood flow to the genitals. The result of the same is enhanced sexual functions.
- Another research published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine studied 65 men aged between 24 and 60. They participated in 12 weeks of yoga sessions. The men were asked to score their sexual function before and post their yoga sessions and practice.
At the end of 12 weeks, the men reported increased orgasms, erection, and ejaculatory control. Moreover, the participants also experienced an improvement in performance, desire, and partner synchronisation.
Why Yoga is Better Than Any Medicine To Cure Erectile Dysfunction
While Viagra (Sildenafil) is used to treat erectile dysfunction, it poses a risk of certain side effects. That is why consuming it can be rather unpleasant. On the other hand, yoga is a drug-free way to relax the body and mind, making it more natural and safe.
Vikas Dhikav, Girish Karmarkar (2010) Yoga in Male Sexual Functioning: A Noncompararive Pilot Study (The Journal of Sexual Medicine) https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.01930.x
Lori A. Brotto (2009) Yoga and Sexual Functioning: A Review (Sex And Marital Therapy) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00926230903065955