Hair fall can cause a bald patch or a receding hairline. This is really worrying and unknowingly takes a toll on our self-confidence.
After trying out all possible options to preserve existing hair and regrow lost hair, we finally opt for a hair transplant.
Since hair transplant is technically a hair surgery of sorts, we wonder
‘Is a hair transplant safe for me?
‘How fast will I recover after a hair transplant?
And – Will my hair transplant look natural?’
In this article, we will talk about the safety of a hair transplant, different types of hair transplants, who should get a hair transplant, and hair transplant before and after.
What is a hair transplant?
Exactly like the dictionary says, a hair transplant is a technique that fights balding using existing health hair to cover regions that are balding, receding, or thinning.
It is basically like replanting a tree.
Where a tree is uprooted from an area where there are many trees and replanted where there is a need for trees.
Just like the tree that grows healthily in its new habitat, transplanted hair also grows in its new habitat.
While it is common to see some of your transplanted hair falling after 2-3 days of the hair surgery, this hair fall paves a path for new hair growth.
So when you ask ‘how long does a hair transplant last’ or ‘is a hair transplant permanent’?
Think back to the replanted tree. Like the tree that needs sunshine and water to thrive, your hair transplant can be permanent and will last longer if you provide the transplanted hair with the right nutrients.
In case your hair is thinning, you could try out ayurvedic hair oils like Brahmi, Bhringraj, and amla for thick hair growth. You can also try oats for hair.
A sudden bald patch over the last 3-6 months is most likely caused by DHT induced hair loss. You can use Rosemary oil, a natural DHT blocking oil to ensure that your hair transplant lasts longer.
A hair transplant with the right care will ensure that your hair transplant has the highest success rate.
Types of hair transplant – FUE vs FUT
What is an FUE hair transplant?
Follicular Unit Extraction is a hair transplant technique where a hair transplant surgeon will take out hair follicles from your skin and replant them where the hair is required.
When you compare the hair transplant before and after, you will realize that there will be no marks of hair follicle extraction at all.
This hair transplant is safe and has no stitches involved. It gives you a natural look since it takes new hair follicles and places it with the old follicles which results in thin hair or no growth. Try applying Vetier to increase collagen in order to make your hair stronger.
Studies show that FUE hair transplant has a 90% success rate.
FUE hair transplant recovery:
After getting the hair transplant, you will notice that the shaved donor site has tiny holes. These holes turn pink after 2-5 days of the hair transplant procedure and 2 weeks after the hair transplant, your hair will grow back.
To speed up the FUE hair transplant recovery, ensure that:
- The swelling less by keeping the area moist. Not wet.
- You sleep on clean sheets and pillow covers. This avoids unnecessary bacterial buildup.
- Be gentle on your head for at least 10 days after the surgery. Don’t scratch your head.
FUE Hair transplant results
After 2-8 weeks of your hair transplant, your hair will fall out. Don’t be alarmed. Hair fall after a hair transplant is normal.
After 2-3 months of the hair transplant, you will see the new hair follicles coming through the scalp.
The real hair transplant results are 6-9 months after the transplant. In some cases, it could even take 12 months. At this point, you will see more hair on your head.
What is an FUT hair transplant?
Follicular unit transplantation (FUT) is a hair transplant technique, where your hair transplant surgeon removes a patch of your skin. The hair follicles from this skin patch are extracted and are used to fill out the areas on your head that need to look dense.
This includes the crown of your head and a receding hairline too.
Since FUT removes a patch of your skin, there will be a large and prominent scar on your head. Like the FUE procedure, FUT is also a permanent procedure.
FUT hair transplant recovery
The FUT scar will heal after 2 weeks of the procedure. During this period, your hair transplant surgeon may ask you to take antibiotics to prevent swelling, pain, and infections.
Like in FUE, your transplanted hair may fall out and that is completely normal. This means that the hair follicles are activated and new hair strands will start growing in place of the hair that has just fallen out.
FUT Hair transplant results
4 month after the hair transplant- new hair strands will start growing
10-12 months after the hair transplant- new hair strands will grow and become thick with time.
What is the normal hair transplant cost in India?
Ideally, the number of grafts on your head should determine the hair transplant price in India. So how much does a hair transplant cost in India really add up to?
1500 - 2000 grafts cost about Rs. 30,000 - 40,000 for a Direct FUE hair transplant cost procedure.
For 2,000 - 3000 grafts, it takes about Rs. 40,000 - 60,000 for the same procedure.
We also get asked, what the 5000 grafts hair transplant cost in India is? This costs about Rs. 80,000.
Is it safe to get a hair transplant?
A hair transplant is completely safe if you are getting it at the right place (part of your head) and from the right person (your hair transplant surgeon).
Here are some tips to increase the safety of your hair transplant:
Invest in a quality hair surgeon:
- A hair transplant is extremely safe provided your hair surgeon is well-experienced and is certified for the process.
- start using medications like finasteride or minoxidil. Finasteride blocks excess DHT hormones from accumulating in your hair follicles and minoxidil dilates blood vessels so that your hair follicles get the right nutrients for thicker and stronger growth.
- In case you have long hair, avoid tying or braiding your hair tightly. This will make sure your hair transplant is safe and long-lasting.
- Don’t wear a cap for at least 5 days. This doesn’t allow enough room for your hair transplant recovery.
- Avoid itching or any kind of friction on your scalp for at least a week after the hair transplant.
What is the hair transplant success rate?
Clinical studies have discovered that 85-95% of all implanted grafts grow quite easily in the concerned areas. This high percentage is indicative of the fact that hair transplants are quite successful. Numerous hair transplant reviews also support this claim.
Alternatives to a hair transplant
A hair transplant can be a costly affair. You can try out these products instead of opting for a hair transplant
Made with the newest and safest breakthrough ingredient Redensyl, GROW hair tonic boosts blood flow and nutrients to your scalp. This makes your hair grow faster, reduces hair fall, therefore, increasing the hair on your scalp.
Derma rolling is a micro-needling technique that creates micro punctures on your scalp. It prevents hair from shedding by providing it rich nutrients meant for thick hair growth. Also remember to oil your hair after using the derma roll.
Minoxidil is an FDA approved drug that will help you regrow your lost hair. Here is a complete guide to using minoxidil for male pattern baldness.
Including superfoods like berries and eggs in your diets will ensure that your hair gets the best nutrients. Here is a complete guide on the superfoods your hair needs.
Where to get the best hair transplant in India?
These are the places you should visit if you are opting for a hair transplant in a major city:
- For a hair transplant in Mumbai: Also associated with a branch in Dubai, Harley’s Clinic in Mumbai has a member of the The ROYAL COLLEGE of Surgeons of Edinburgh and International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) called Dr. Sumit Agarwal.
Many men ask us about a hair transplant cost in Mumbai. This varies according to the procedure you opt for. Although, the cost is about Rs. 45,000.
Contact them on: +91 9967333879.
2. For a hair transplant in Bangalore: Hairline is considered one of the best hair clinics. It offers a host of hair transplant surgeries. Moreover, even a set of non-surgical hair procedures like Scalp Micropigmentation and Cranial Scalp Prosthesis are an option.
They have branches in Indiranagar, RT Nagar, Whitefield, Jayanagar and Koramangala. So take your pick.
Many men ask us about a hair transplant cost in Bangalore. This varies according to the procedure you opt for. Although, the cost is about Rs. 29,999 - 69,000.
Contact them on: 91-9148874972 or shoot an email at email@example.com
3. For a hair transplant in Delhi, AK Clinics is the best hair transplant in Delhi. They offer FUE, FUT, Bio-FUE and Giga-session procedures.
Many men ask us about a hair transplant cost in Delhi. This varies according to the procedure you opt for. Although, the cost is about Rs. 35,000.
Contact them on: +91 7838599227
4. For a hair transplant in Hyderabad, Trichos is a good option. They provide a Root by Root system that ensures that men benefit from the best permanent hair grafts selection they have to offer.
Contact then on: +91 9000 56 6767
4. For a hair transplant in Ahmedabad, Avenues Clinic is a reputed place to go to. They will identify your baldness type and decide upon the procedure accordingly.
The cost of a hair transplant in Ahmedabad starts from as low as Rs. 7,000, moving upwards.
Contact them on: +91 9510306500
5. For a hair transplant in Chennai, Tamira is a viable option. It offers a wide variety of procedures, before which the doctors clearly explain the pros and cons of what’s about to come.
Contact them on: +91-9840734254
5. For a hair transplant in Kolkata, an excellent facility to seek help from is the Dr. Manoj Khanna Hair Transplant Clinic. He has performed hair transplant surgeries on reputable personalities like Harsha Bhogle, Sourav Ganguly, and Govinda.
The cost of a hair transplant in Kolkata is about Rs. 60,000.
What is a DHI hair transplant?
This refers to the direct hair implantation method. Men with Androgenic Alopecia usually need this procedure to be performed on their scalp.
What are some hair transplant side effects?
There are both short and long term side effects of hair transplants for men. These hair transplant side effects may or may not affect you, but it’s good to keep a lookout.
The short term side effects of hair transplants are as follows:
- A swelling of the scalp post procedure
- Bleeding of the scalp after the hair transplant
- Hair transplant Eye bruises
- Some men may experience folliculitis or an inflammation of the hair follicles
- Crusting or the formation of a scab in the place where the hair was removed or implanted
- Numbness around the treated areas of the scalp
Some long-term side effects of hair transplants are as follows:
- If you underwent a hair transplant only in certain areas of your scalp, its untreated areas may still face hair loss
- An irregular heart rate
- Swelling of the the hand, chest area or the foot
- Nausea and dizziness
What is the hair transplant cost per graft?
What is the normal hair transplant cost in India? Ideally, the number of grafts on your head should determine the hair transplant price in India. So how much does a hair transplant cost in India really add up to?
- 1500 - 2000 grafts are about Rs. 30,000 - 40,000 for a Direct FUE hair transplant cost procedure.
- For 2,000 - 3000 grafts, it takes about Rs. 40,000 - 60,000 for the same procedure.
Is hair transplant painful?
The answer to this is 'no.' A hair transplant is not an uncomfortable procedure, but that doesn't mean there is no discomfort involved. This is because it is minimally invasive but this pain is brief and temporary. So only opt in for a hair transplant surgery if you are aware of this.
What is the success rate of hair transplants?
Do hair transplants work? Clinical studies have discovered that 85-95% of all implanted grafts grow quite easily in the concerned areas. This high percentage is indicative of the fact that hair transplants are quite successful.
Is hair transplant safe?
It is true that hair transplants are safe. However, even doctors themselves suggest non-surgical methods to regrow hair before they suggest a surgical hair transplant.
Is hair transplant permanent?
Yes, a hair transplant is permanent. Provided it is performed on a healthy scalp with the patient having no prior allergies.