Fix your worries by taking a free doctor consultation with us!
Would you like a consultation on how to take Ashwagandha and its dosage in the next 24 hours?
Please select your gender:
Are you wondering whether you should take Ashwagandha at night or during the day? Read on to find out when is the best time to take Ashwagandha and how to take Ashwagandha.
When to Take Ashwagandha?
Depending on the condition you are trying to treat using Ashwagandha, you may use Ashwagandha during the day or at night, or both.
- You can take Ashwagandha twice a day daily after taking your meals. However, consult the doctor on the dosage based on your needs.
- Higher doses are primarily found in Ashwagandha capsules, and you may take 2-3 capsules each day with water after your meals (lunch and dinner) or as prescribed by a doctor.
Best Time to Take Ashwagandha
The best time to take Ashwagandha depends on why you are taking Ashwagandha and what form of Ashwagandha you are taking. Ashwagandha can be taken on an empty stomach early in the morning or just before you go to bed. Best time of the day to take Ashwagandha include-
- You can take Ashwagandha churna ball or Ashwagandha tea in the morning.
- You can take 1-2 Ashwagandha tablets or capsules twice a day after your meals.
- You can have 1/2 tsp of Ashwagandha powder mixed with milk before bed for quality sleep, lower stress levels, and increased sex drive.
Pro Tip: The best time and dosage for Ashwagandha entirely depends on what you are using it for, so always consult a doctor first to know the accurate dosage and the best time.
Can I take Ashwagandha in Morning?
Yes, you can take Ashwagandha in the morning in the form of tea or churna ball as it can help boost your body energy. The quantity may vary depending on your needs and as prescribed to you by the doctor.
Our favorite, hassle-free way of taking Ashwagandha is Ashwagandha tablets. These tablets are designed keeping in mind the convenience of incorporating this supplement into your everyday life.
Can I take Ashwagandha at Night?
Yes, you can take Ashwagandha at night, just before going to bed or after your dinner. You can have 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Ashwagandha powder with milk or 1 Ashwagandha capsule/tablet with water or as prescribed by the doctor. Studies suggest that 300 mg of Ashwagandha extract, taken twice daily, can help treat insomnia and enhance sleep quality.
Ashwagandha Uses: How to Take Ashwagandha?
Are you wondering how to use Ashwagandha? This Ayurvedic herb has a host of health benefits and can be taken in many ways, depending on your needs and requirements. Here's how to take Ashwagandha, depending on your needs and requirements.
Ashwagandha Powder (Churna)
Ashwagandha powder is the base for any other way of taking Ashwagandha. Here, Ashwagandha roots – which have maximum medicinal benefits, are dried, cut, and sifted for tea or powdered to be taken with milk. Here's how to take Ashwagandha powder.
- Add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Ashwagandha powder
- Mix it with milk or honey and have it twice every day after meals
- It's advisable to consult with a doctor on the dosage based on the health condition you are trying to treat
- Read on to know more about Ashwagandha powder uses and how to take Ashwagandha powder
This is the best caffeine-free drink to soothe you into a restful sleep every night. All you need to do is boil the herb's roots in water so that the water is infused.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of Ashwagandha powder to 2-3 cups of water
- Boil this until the quantity reduces to half its original quantity
- Add milk as per your preference and honey (skip this if you have a high blood sugar level)
- Drink this once a day. For best results, in the morning, on an empty stomach
Dark chocolate infused with Ashwagandha. This combination helps in boosting libido and acts as a natural aphrodisiac.
This is the most hassle-free and convenient way to take Ashwagandha. Man Matters' Ashwagandha Tablets are designed for men to boost their overall wellbeing by taking Ashwagandha twice a day. Here's how to take Ashwagandha tablets.
- Take 1-2 Ashwagandha tablet with water or warm milk after your meals
- For best results, have this twice a day, after lunch and dinner
- It always advisable to consult the doctor first to know the correct dosage based on your needs and get the best results more effectively
This is yet another hassle-free way to take Ashwagandha. Ashwagandha capsules or Ashwagandha goli benefit men in numerous ways. Ashwagandha golis is the easiest way to get an evenly measured Ashwagandha dosage. Take 1 Ashwagandha capsule and get all its benefits. All you need to do is read the other ingredients combined with it. Here's another way to take Ashwagandha Capsules:
- Take 1-2 Ashwagandha capsules with water after your meals
- For best results, take this twice every day, after lunch and dinner
- You can consult a doctor to have more clarity on the dosage best for you, based on your needs
From arthritis to even a sore day after working out, ashwagandha oil is your go-to since it relieves muscle tension. Read on to find out more about how to use Ashwagandha oil.
Ashwagandha Paste for Hair
Ashwagandha can reverse premature graying of hair by producing melanin – the pigment responsible for your hair color. This is for the external use of Ashwagandha.
Also Read: Ashwagandha for men's hair
Ashwagandha Powder Uses: How to Take Ashwagandha Powder?
Ashwagandha root extract is commonly sold as Ashwagandha tablets, capsules, and tinctures, but its most popular form is Ashwagandha churna or powder. You can use Ashwagandha powder by mixing it with milk, water, honey, or ghee and intake it for curing various ailments or even as a part of your skincare routine. Here is a way on how to use Ashwagandha Powder.
Ashwagandha Powder with Milk
Add a quarter to half a teaspoon of Ashwagandha powder/churna with milk or honey. Also, it's advisable to determine the dosage based on a doctor's recommendation. One of the significant benefits of Ashwagandha powder with milk is it helps induce sleep if taken before going to bed.
Here's how to take Ashwagandha in the form of a tasty milkshake.
- Roast 3-4 tablespoons of Ashwagandha powder (churna) with a cup of refined, organic ghee
- To make a milkshake, add one teaspoon of this powder to 1 glass of cold milk and add two teaspoons of honey to it
- Blend it well, and then drink this Ashwagandha immediately for better taste and results
- You can refrigerate this milkshake mixture and use it as and when needed
Ashwagandha Churna Balls
These churna balls are made with herbs like Ashwagandha powder, Gokshura, Safed Musli, and Shilajit to maximize the benefits of Ashwagandha for Erectile Dysfunction. Here's how to take Ashwagandha powder (churna) balls-
- Take 1 Ashwagandha churna ball empty stomach in the morning
- Have it every morning or as prescribed by the doctors for best results
- Ashwagandha Powder with Water: Can We Take Ashwagandha Powder with Water?
Yes, you can take Ashwagandha powder with water. If you are a vegan, this is the easiest way to consume Ashwagandha powder. The prep is similar to Ashwagandha doodh but without the milk. Replace the milk with water, and you can drink this mixture. Here's how to use Ashwagandha powder with water
- Take 1/2 tsp of Ashwagandha powder (Churna) and mix it with a cup of water
- Drink it every day, after your meals (twice a day)
How to Take Ashwagandha Powder during Night
It's best to take 1/2 tsp of Ashwagandha powder (churna) mixed with milk at night before going to bed.
Ashwagandha powder with milk is known to calm your nervous system, especially after a long day.
Ashwagandha powder with milk ensures that you sleep better and wake up well-rested.
Also Read: Ashwagandha for Sleep
How to Take Ashwagandha Powder during Day
You can also take Ashwagandha powder (churna) in the morning to kickstart an energetic day so that the Ashwagandha churna makes sure you have enough energy for the day ahead of you.
In case you want to add some flavor while taking Ashwagandha churna, all you need to do is add some honey to the churna. Honey is a natural sweetener and will boost your entire Ashwagandha powder experience.
In case you are a vegan, you can avoid taking Ashwagandha powder with milk and replace it with water.
You can also make healthy DIY Ashwagandha churna balls at home. All you need to do is mix Ashwagandha powder with jaggery and a tad bit of black salt. You can start your day with this and end it with this healthy Ashwagandha churna(powder).
Ashwagandha Powder Benefits
- Helps treat stress and anxiety disorder
- Helps enhance sleep
- Helps treat male infertility and boost testosterone
- Reduce blood sugar levels
- Helps treat depression
- Helps increase height
- Help boost energy
- Helps treat depression
- Has anti-cancer properties
- Has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
Ashwagandha Powder Dosage
The dosage of Ashwagandha powder depends on the health condition being addressed and should always be consulted with a medical expert first. The usual dosage of Ashwagandha powder (Churna) is 1/2-1/4 tsp with milk or water or in other forms, 2-3 times a day, after meals for results. You can even consume it with warm milk before going to bed or on an empty stomach in the morning.
Ashwagandha Powder Side Effects
There are no visible side effects of Ashwagandha powder as it's an Ayurvedic herb. However, it advisable to consult with a doctor on the dosage. This is because there may be side effects of Ashwagandha powder when taken in excess, such as upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
Read More: Ashwagandha for Thyroid
Ashwagandha Tablet Uses: How to Take Ashwagandha Tablets?
We are always asked so many questions about Ashwagandha tablets.
How to take Ashwagandha tablets?
When to take Ashwagandha tablets?
What are the uses of Ashwagandha tablets?
How often should Ashwagandha tablets be taken?
Let's find out the Ashwagandha tablet uses and how to take them.
How to take Ashwagandha Tablets? When to take Ashwagandha tablets?
- Take 1-2 Ashwagandha tablets
- Swallow it with water after your meals twice a day
- It can be taken 2-3 times a day during the day and at night, after meals
- Consult with a doctor on the dosage as the dosage may vary with the health condition
Ashwagandha Tablet Uses: Benefits of Ashwagandha Tablets
- You can use Ashwagandha tablets to treat anxiety and stress-related issues and even cure depression
- Use Ashwagandha tablets to help improve athletic performance
- Ashwagandha tablets benefit the central nervous system and the endocrine system
- It can help slow down the aging process
- Can improve libido and sexual health by boosting testosterone levels
- Can help treat diabetes
Ashwagandha Tablet Side Effects
There are no side effects of Ashwagandha tablets when taken with proper consultation. Ensure always getting a prescribed dosage of Ashwagandha tablets from a doctor to get the requisite medical condition's best results.
Moon Milk with Ashwagandha
Moon milk contains Ashwagandha powder as one of its main ingredients.
Various scientific research proves that Ashwagandha reduces signs, symptoms, and effects of anxiety and stress disorder due to its rejuvenating properties and developing stress resistance. Studies also suggest that the adaptogen helps lower the body's blood sugar levels and helps stimulate overall brain function and memory.
As already mentioned, Ashwagandha helps cure insomnia by improving the quality of sleep as Ashwagandha leaves contain triethylene glycol, which helps induce sleep. An adaptogenic herb- Ashwagandha in moon milk benefits the central nervous system, endocrine system, and cardiopulmonary system. It does this with its anti-stress, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties.
What is Moon Milk?
Ashwagandha is one of the main ingredients of Moon Milk that also contains nutmeg and milk and is an effective treatment to cure insomnia and can be taken before bed. It is also beneficial for curing sore muscles, improved male infertility, and erectile dysfunction. Moonmilk contains a mix of adaptogens and spices that helps induce a good night's sleep and should be ideally taken before bedtime daily.
Did you Know: Adaptogens are plants used in Ayurveda for centuries now. They are the most holistic medicine due to their therapeutic benefits to help the human body deal with mental and physical stressors.
What are the Benefits of Moon Milk?
1. Moon Milk helps improve sleep quality and cure insomnia
Ashwagandha with milk (which are the main ingredients of moon milk) is excellent sleep aids for balancing Vata and Pitta doshas, helping calm the nerves, and soothing your overworked mind.
Did You Know: Researchers have found that the presence of specific amino acids like tryptophan and carbohydrates in warm milk can help you feel drowsy and why many people drink milk before bed.
2. Moon Milk contains Adaptogens that helps treat Stress and Anxiety
Ashwagandha in Moon Milk is an adaptogen and helps reduce the secretion of stress hormones like cortisol. Ashwagandha is an adaptogen and helps treat the negative impacts of stress, including mood swings and fatigue.
Side Tip: In the moon milk recipe with Ashwagandha, you can also consider adding other adaptogens such as ginseng. This herb can also reduce stress and even help with increased focus and better sleep quality.
3. Moon Milk contains Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Properties such as Turmeric
Turmeric and Ashwagandha in Moon Milk have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help reduce any pain and discomfort caused due to the active ingredient curcumin. This helps inspire a blissful night of sleep.
Side Tip: You can even consider adding other spices such as cinnamon, black pepper, or ginger can help increase the absorption of Turmeric (Haldi) in moon milk and even reduce any discomfort such as migraines, nausea, upset stomach, or congestion that can keep you awake at night.
4. Helps Curb Sweet Cravings & Prevent Spike in Blood Sugar Level
Cinnamon in Moon milk help reducing sweet (Sugar) cravings. A cup of moon milk with honey provides small amounts of natural carbs and sugar. Cinnamon and Ashwagandha in Moon Milk helps maintain low blood sugar levels and improve your metabolic health and immunity
Moon Milk Recipe
Here's an easy and effective moon milk recipe that you can have every day before going to bed.
- Bring a cup of cow milk (if you are vegan- try almond milk) to a low simmer but do not boil it
- Once the milk is hot, add 1/2 tsp of Ashwagandha powder (churna), 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp of grounded ginger (or ginger powder), and a pinch of nutmeg powder
- Whisk this mixture well with the milk and bring it to a simmer
- Add 1 tsp of coconut oil and one tablespoon of organic honey (or jaggery or maple syrup)
- Stir the above ingredients well and pour the warm moon milk with Ashwagandha as its active ingredient in a cup and have it before bed, daily
Moon Milk Dosage
Consume a cup of Moon Milk every day before going to bed daily. Wait for at least 6-12 weeks to see Moon Milk's effective results with Ashwagandha. Studies suggest that the dosages may range from 250-600 mg per day.
Pro Tip: Always consult with a doctor before adding anything to your regular health routine. Also, Moon Milk with Ashwagandha is safe with no side effects, but it can be harmful if you drink too much in a day.
Ashwagandha Oil: How to Use Ashwagandha Oil?
Ashwagandha oil helps relieve muscle tension can be a very effective treatment for arthritis, muscle soreness after a long day or after a workout.
How to use Ashwagandha oil?
Here are a few steps on how to use Ashwagandha oil to reap its benefits.
- You can use Ashwagandha oil by slightly warming up the oil
- Then massage it on to your whole body, particularly your head, abdomen, feet, and lower back
- Massage for at least 20-25 minutes, and then let your body rest for about half an hour before taking a bath
- Do this at least 1-2 times a week to see the best results of Ashwagandha oil benefits
- You can use Patanjali Ashwagandha oil or any renowned brand to see effective results
Also Read: Ashwagandha for Weight Loss
How Long Does it Take for Ashwagandha to Start Working?
How soon Ashwagandha supplements take to work largely depends on your lifestyle choices – your diet, your sleep cycle, and your exercise pattern. These factors increase the positive effect of Ashwagandha powder on your body.
Ashwagandha supplements, when taken, can help you over a gradual period. Since it is a herb, it only occurs when taken consistently.
Whether you are taking Ashwagandha in the form of a churna or capsule, be sure to check out the Ashwagandha quality.
An Ashwagandha capsule is a quick and easy way to have it. All you need is water and the Ashwagandha tablet.
Again, since it is not a magic pill, it cannot show you any results if you take Ashwagandha overnight. However, studies show that about 500mg of Ashwagandha's regular intake has shown an increase in muscle strength and mass in about eight weeks.
Side effects of Ashwagandha
While taking Ashwagandha, it is essential to take it the right way. By this we mean, the correct dosage of Ashwagandha based on your health condition, choosing whether to take Ashwagandha in the night or the morning.
It is vital to choose how to take Ashwagandha daily and be consistent with the form and the dosage to avoid any Ashwagandha side effects.
Excess Ashwagandha can damage your kidney and thyroid gland's functioning. Ashwagandha may also have side effects on your blood pressure if your BP is already particularly low.
So, please ensure you take Ashwagandha in small to medium doses. There haven't been adequate long-term studies to determine the possible side effects of Ashwagandha. However, large quantities of Ashwagandha extracts can upset the digestive system and even cause nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. This may be caused due to irritation in the intestinal mucosa. You can also read more about the side effects of Ashwagandha here.
Can I take Ashwagandha on empty stomach?
Yes, doctors suggest that you can take Ashwagandha on an empty stomach, as for some people, it is more effective when taken first thing in the morning. It can be taken as Ashwagandha tea or as a churna ball; however, ensure that you consult with a doctor on the dosage.
Can Ashwagandha keep you awake?
On the contrary, Ashwagandha helps treat insomnia and enhance your sleep. Studies recommend you to take 300 mg Ashwagandha to extract twice a day, daily, to see the best results for sleep onset latency among patients.
Can I take Ashwagandha every day?
Yes, you can take Ashwagandha every day. Consult a doctor on the dosage that may vary with your needs, but experts recommend 250-500 mg every day for at least a month to see effective results. This ayurvedic herb comes with a host of health benefits such as improved sleep, muscle strength, fertility, stress, anxiety, memory, among other benefits.
Can Ashwagandha cause nausea?
Yes, Ashwagandha can cause nausea if taken in high doses. It can cause nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, upsetting the gastrointestinal tract. These side effects are uncommon, and Ashwagandha is regarded as a well-tolerated medicinal herb when taking small to medium doses (250-500 mg).
Can Ashwagandha cure cancer?
Yes, Ashwagandha can cure cancer as some studies state that the herb can provide a wild type p53- a tumor cell- which can help stop cancer cells' growth. Additionally, it also helps reduce the repercussions of chemotherapy.
Do I take Ashwagandha in the morning or night?
You can take Ashwagandha both in the morning and night. You can take Ashwagandha in the morning as Ashwagandha tea or in the form of Ashwagandha churna ball and help enhance your body energy. You can take Ashwagandha at night with milk right before bed or after dinner to better sleep quality.
How to take Ashwagandha?
You can take Ashwagandha as a powder (churna) or in the form of supplements- capsules or pills. You can take Ashwagandha capsules for higher doses, 1-2 after each meal with water, daily. You can have 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Ashwagandha churna mixed with milk after meals for low to medium doses. The dosage may vary with your needs, so consult a doctor to know your requirements.
What is the best time to take Ashwagandha?
There is no specific best time to take Ashwagandha, per se; it entirely varies with your requirements. For example, to resolve sleep problems, the best time to take Ashwagandha is before bed or right after dinner. Have 1/2 tsp of Ashwagandha powder with milk before bed. To re-energize your body for the day, the best time to take Ashwagandha is in the morning, empty stomach. You can take Ashwagandha churna ball or Ashwagandha tea.
How long does Ashwagandha take to work?
Doctors recommend consuming about 250-500 mg of Ashwagandha daily for about a month to see the best results based on your needs. However, you may even see the results as early as two weeks with a healthy lifestyle. Also, it primarily depends on the quality of the Ashwagandha extract.
Do I take Ashwagandha during the day or at night?
You can take Ashwagandha during the day or at night. Taking Ashwagandha at night or during the day has its benefits:
- Take Ashwagandha during Night: It's best to take Ashwagandha churna mixed with milk at night before going to bed. Ashwagandha powder with milk is known to calm your nervous system, especially after a long day. Ashwagandha powder with milk ensures that you sleep better and wake up well-rested.
- Take Ashwagandha powder during Day: You can also take Ashwagandha powder (churna) in the morning to kickstart an energetic day so that the Ashwagandha churna makes sure you have enough energy for the day ahead of you. You can also take Ashwagandha tea or Ashwagandha churna ball in the morning in place of Ashwagandha powder (churna).
What time of day to take Ashwagandha?
You can take Ashwagandha in the morning, after your meals, or before going to bed. For boosting your energy, take Ashwagandha in the morning, empty stomach. For curing insomnia or enhancing sleep quality, take Ashwagandha with warm milk or "Moon Milk" before going to bed. You can take Ashwagandha powder, tablets, or capsules after your meals twice every day for other health benefits.
- Mohammad Hossein Mirjalili, Elisabeth Moyano, Mercedes Bonfill, Rosa M Cusido, and Javier Palazón, July 2009; Steroidal lactones from Withania somnifera, an ancient plant for novel medicine- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19633611/
- Deepak Langade, Subodh Kanchi, Jaising Salve, Khokan Debnath, and Dhruv Ambegaokar, September 2019; Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Root Extract in Insomnia and Anxiety: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Study- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6827862/
- Ashwinikumar A Raut, Nirmala N Rege, Firoz M Tadvi, Punita V Solanki, Kirti R Kene, Sudatta G Shirolkar, Shefali N Pandey, Rama A Vaidya, and Ashok B Vaidya, July 2012; Exploratory study to evaluate tolerability, safety, and activity of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in healthy volunteers- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23125505/
- L.C. Mishra, B.B. Singh, Simon Dagenais, September 2000; Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha): A Review- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12365397_Scientific_basis_for_the_therapeutic_use_of_Withania_somnifera_Ashwagandha_A_Review